Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Can Someone Translate This For Me?

Comments

• Did you find some days you felt cured then other days you were in agony again? Why is that? I've tried to identify what might lead to bad (and good) days but I've yet to find a link either way.

And you know I think I'll always doubt my decision in trusting my research and professional recommendations due to always having those people who like to think they can live your life for you.

ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
    ...and it was the best decision of my life :-)
  • "Did you find some days you felt cured then other days you were in agony again? Why is that? I've tried to identify what might lead to bad (and good) days but I've yet to find a link either way. "

I think you are subscribing too much psychology to this. You are in pain because of physiological reasons, something is off in your body. Not everything can be fixed by lifestyle changes or gutted out through toughness.

"And you know I think I'll always doubt my decision in trusting my research" and professional recommendations due to always having those people who like to think they can live your life for you"

Maybe you could just let this run its course for a while and see how it goes. As long as there is no risk of permanent damage you will learn a lot about yourself and you can always come back to the surgery decision later.

Cheers.

• advertisement
  • I too have cervical issues. Herniated discs at C4/5/5 and C5/6. Just for your information, I have tried every non invasive therapy out there for the past year and a half. I did acupuncture for 6 months, chiropractic, I did physical therapy for a year, just had a facet injection, nothing gave me more than 2 days relief. So more than likely my next step will be surgery. I think it is normal to have days where you almost feel human again and start to doubt yourself. I had days where I thought "If I feel like this the rest of my life I am good with that, it's not that bad, why am I considering surgery, haven't had a pain pill all day, Yay!" And then somehow the next day I wake up with my back spasming all day, my hand is numb all day, I have a debilitating headache and my neck feels like someone stabbed me with a knife and my shoulder blade feels like I've been branded like a cow, I pop pain pills through out the day and I think "If I feel like this the rest of my life I will blow my brains out, I am in a funk, It takes everything I have to get out of bed to tend to my family and life sucks". So welcome to the world of chronic pain and neck issues. I think for me that is what has been the most frustrating. Every day is different. I can't make plans for the weekend or even to meet a friend for lunch during the week because I have no idea what I am going to wake up to. Will it be a good day with no pain pills needed or will it be a horrible shitty day where I am in debilitating pain all day? It really is 50/50.
    The best thing you can do is research the surgical procedure and make yourself comfortable with it. I knew in my heart that if everything failed I would end up having surgery, not because I had to, but because I am or was a young 40 year old active mom of two a give teenage boys and an active husband. I want to play golf again, and run and go to the gym and living an,IFE of 50/50 will not get me there. The chances of me getting that life back will only happen if I have surgery and my issues get fixed. I think all the non invasive things are just a bandaid to buy you time. So do your research, get several opinions so when you are ready to have surgery you will have a surgeon you are confident with.

I think svbagley has some great advice. I have asked him for advice myself. I think his experience is like many, where you do all the non invasive stuff to prevent surgery and you end up needing the surgery anyway.
    It's better to get it sooner rather than later I believe. Too many people wait too long for fear of the surgery and they end up doing irreparable damage to their spine and nerves.
    I hope my long winded message helps you. Feel free to PM me if you need to vent. As a mom I understand the frustration of everyday being different in regards to your pain. Good luck to you.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Honestly trying to find what makes for a good day or bad day is a worthwhile tracking , you may find a pattern in it , foods, activities, meds etc. it's something that everyone should try to track at least for a while to see if a pattern present itself. Any edge against pain you have is worthwhile
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • I find on days that I do a lot of driving, or standing with my head looking down (which as a mom I'm in this position often, while cooking, doing laundry, doing dishes, etc) the next day I pay the price. That is great advice.
  • advertisement
  • DeniseO_oDDeniseO_o Posts: 115
    edited 03/09/2015 - 3:57 AM
    BlessedMom74 said:

Yeah, it is definitely unpredictable. I guess I am fortunate in that even with my worst days, I am still functional. I am miserable, sad, etc. but I can still work, take care of my kids, etc. It just gets more challenging. I am definitely having surgery but my MIL is visiting from abroad and will be here for 6 weeks. I do not want her coming here thinking she has to take care of me, or do extra while I'm under lifting restrictions (hello, heavy toddler). So, I am merely trying to survive with temporary relief until after Summer. This Thursday I am scheduled for a nerve block and I start PT as well. My surgeon did tell me that this might make me feel worse and that if I am a few weeks in and want to tap out, that's fine. The ball is in my court and I say "when" on everything. On one hand that's a relief but on the other hand I hate the decision is in my hands. My Husband is already upset I am delaying until his Mum leaves so if anything he won't let me put it off much longer after that.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • BlessedMom74BBlessedMom74 Posts: 322
    edited 03/09/2015 - 5:24 AM
    Hi DeniseO_o, I understand how hard it is as mothers to relinquish control and let someone else take care of us. Honestly, I would kill to have someone stay with me for 6 weeks. I would have surgery in a heart beat. I would take advantage of that help and have surgery while she is there. My dilemma is that I don't have that kind of support or help. Trying to figure out how to get my kids to school,etc....is a challenge. My husband travels for work a lot so all that usually falls on me.
    I too am very functional even on my worst days, which makes us pay the price later. I think pain is your body's way of saying "something is wrong, slow down". I hope you do well with your nerve block. I had a facet injection a week ago and it made my pain worse. I came home from the procedure in tears. My poor kids never see me cry and it scared them to see me be such a wreck. I think this experience has been a learning opportunity for me to accept help when I have it and to relinquish control. I am an uber type A and I like to do everything on my own. I never ask for help until now. If your MiL is willing to help for 6 weeks I would gratefully accept the help and allow some healing to occur. Allow someone else to take care of you for a change. Give yourself that gift. This is major surgery. Giving yourself 6 weeks to not lift anything would help you heal beautifully.
  • DeniseO_oDDeniseO_o Posts: 115
    edited 03/10/2015 - 6:43 AM
    BlessedMom74 said:

Oh no....she's coming here to visit. It just so happens that my neck took a shit right around the same time. She's elderly and actually just had a knee replacement Nov/Dec last year so she's physically not "able" to do much of anything other than sit and enjoy her grandkids that she only sees once every year to two years :-( She's also not mentally sound to be able to take care of them in a safe way, if that makes sense. She can absolutely tend to me as far as getting me something to eat/drink but I don't want her coming here and taking all that on. My Husband and I can handle this much better after we enjoy her visit.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
advertisement