Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

cervical disc replacement

kmitkkmit Posts: 2
edited 02/15/2015 - 8:25 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had c6/c-7 anterior approach disc replacement on 2/6/15.. Been having problems accessing information about the recovery period after this surgery, specifically time frames regarding exercise,restrictions, and complications. I was told that I had a 5-10 lb weight restriction for lifting, no driving for 3-4 weeks and to keep moving my neck around. I also was given quite a lot of info on discharge that seems to apply to ACDF. I was exhausted the first week, but did take a few short walks . Y esterday I walked a mile and went shopping with my daughter. I was completely done after that. I have a stiff neck and tightness throughout my shoulders, upper neck and shoulders. I feel like I can't stretch enough to relieve this.I still have numbness in my left pinter and middle finger, similar to before surgery. I have been having headaches and at times sharp pain in my necks. Still very tired, slightly nauseated and not much of an appetite. Incision is painful, still reddened and ecchymotic. Also have a hardness along the incision that seems pretty big. If anyone out thre has had a disc replacement in cervical area ,please let me know if this is normal. thanks
kew
advertisement

Comments

• kmit said:
    I had c6/c-7 anterior approach disc replacement on 2/6/15.. Been having problems accessing information about the recovery period after this surgery, specifically time frames regarding exercise,restrictions, and complications. I was told that I had a 5-10 lb weight restriction for lifting, no driving for 3-4 weeks and to keep moving my neck around. I also was given quite a lot of info on discharge that seems to apply to ACDF. I was exhausted the first week, but did take a few short walks . Y esterday I walked a mile and went shopping with my daughter. I was completely done after that. I have a stiff neck and tightness throughout my shoulders, upper neck and shoulders. I feel like I can't stretch enough to relieve this.I still have numbness in my left pinter and middle finger, similar to before surgery. I have been having headaches and at times sharp pain in my necks. Still very tired, slightly nauseated and not much of an appetite. Incision is painful, still reddened and ecchymotic. Also have a hardness along the incision that seems pretty big. If anyone out thre has had a disc replacement in cervical area ,please let me know if this is normal. thanks
    Hi there,

My husband had the exact same procedure done at the C6-7 level. Call the neurosurgeon and request for a follow-up appointment due to the symptoms you listed above. They should have seen you for a follow-up appointment by now. Husband seemed to recover better than what you are experiencing, but the stiffness, incision site pain, and some hardness with a lump underneath the skin is expected. The discharge nurse mentioned that if the incision leaks for more than a few days, or is bleeding, then definitely call. Also, you want to ensure the incision site is not infected. Call for follow-up.
    Jackie
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Are you seeing a Pain Management doctor? Taking pain meds with a muscle relaxant?
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • advertisement