Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Back & Neck Pain

JackcohenJJackcohen Posts: 6
edited 02/23/2015 - 1:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Since 2 years ago I had constant neck problems. Now it's more constant and more of a temptation to constantly (every 10 mins) crack my neck. I've also invested in a back foam roller to crack my back.

I visited a chiropractor and he just cracks by neck and back in a more efficient way, I leave painless but 10 minutes later the tension comes back.

I do office work, yes I sit by a computer. My posture is great my back is straight and my neck is not leaned forward to the computer.

What's causing this, I got an MRI doctor says I have two "dry disks nothing serious" but the pain is! I can't live a day without having to crack myself.

How do I fix this, I'm desperate for a right answer as this point I've tried everything's and read every article on Google.

A video of how I crack my back to temporary relive the back pain: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wou9hj1a6x02rc9/video feb 21, 7 45 36 pm.mov?dl=0
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745
    welcome to spine-health

use that above hyperlink to help you get started with spine-health and navigate through the system.

if there are any questions, you can always post them here, send liz or myself a private message or contact ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

*there is nobody on the forum qualified or permitted to give medical advice, all responses are based on members personal experiences only

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thanks Liz, anyone recommend anything?
  • advertisement
  • hi jack

a healthy disc has a tons of water in its center. this gives the disc a spongy quality, which enables it to absorb stresses put on the spine. too much pressure or injury to the disc can damage the ligament that holds the vertebrae immediately above and below the disc together. this is generally the first portion of the disc to be injured. small tears show up in the ligament material. these tears heal and form scar tissue, which is not as strong as normal ligament tissue. the ligament becomes weaker over time as more scar tissue forms. in time, the disc begins to lose its water content and dry up.

loss of water causes the disc to lose some of its ability to act as a cushion. this can lead to even more stress on the ligament and still more tears as the cycle repeats itself. as the disc loses its water content, it collapses, allowing the vertebrae above and below it to move closer together. this causes the space between the bones to narrow, changing the way the facet joint works.

bone spurs may begin to form around the disc space. these can also form around the facet joints, which may be your body's way of trying to stop the excess motion at the spinal segment. the bone spurs can become a problem if they start to grow into the spinal canal and press into the spinal cord and spinal nerves. this condition is called spinal stenosis.

i'm sure you've heard all this before. i found some good links here on spine-health to hopefully provide you with some additional knowledge.

best of luck,

-doug

https://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/lower-back-pain/drying-out-discs

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spine-anatomy/all-about-spinal-disc-problems

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/degenerative-disc-disease/how-disc-becomes-painful
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • First of all stop cracking your own neck and back. It may feel good and give you temporary relief, but since you are doing it improperly you are just causing more muscle tension to form around those areas. Sounds like you need some regular body work (massage, PHysical Therapy). If you relieve some of that muscle tension, you may be able to relieve some of the associated inflammation. Every time you feel the urge to pop your neck, do some neck stretches instead.
    To me it sounds like you are just very tight and have a lot of inflammation. Maybe some moist heat and massage would give you some relief.m
  • JackcohenJJackcohen Posts: 6
    edited 02/24/2015 - 1:41 PM
    doug hell said:
    hi jack

a healthy disc has a tons of water in its center. this gives the disc a spongy quality, which enables it to absorb stresses put on the spine. too much pressure or injury to the disc can damage the ligament that holds the vertebrae immediately above and below the disc together. this is generally the first portion of the disc to be injured. small tears show up in the ligament material. these tears heal and form scar tissue, which is not as strong as normal ligament tissue. the ligament becomes weaker over time as more scar tissue forms. in time, the disc begins to lose its water content and dry up.

loss of water causes the disc to lose some of its ability to act as a cushion. this can lead to even more stress on the ligament and still more tears as the cycle repeats itself. as the disc loses its water content, it collapses, allowing the vertebrae above and below it to move closer together. this causes the space between the bones to narrow, changing the way the facet joint works.

bone spurs may begin to form around the disc space. these can also form around the facet joints, which may be your body's way of trying to stop the excess motion at the spinal segment. the bone spurs can become a problem if they start to grow into the spinal canal and press into the spinal cord and spinal nerves. this condition is called spinal stenosis.

i'm sure you've heard all this before. i found some good links here on spine-health to hopefully provide you with some additional knowledge.

best of luck,

-doug

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spine-anatomy/all-about-spinal-disc-problems

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/degenerative-disc-disease/how-disc-becomes-painful
    thanks for your input, very useful!
    do you or anyone happen to know if going to the gym will effect this and lead it to be more damaged?

i used to go to the gym and have stopped for 5 months now. i went for 3 years around 4x a week, and did some lifting bench press, dumbells. my chiropractor said it's okay just don't lift any weight above your head.

thoughts?
  • advertisement
  • Is the gym also healthy for this condition?
    My chiropractor always stated that I had a pinched nerve that's aggrevating the pain.

I've been lifting weight (bench press, Dumbbells,) . I've stopped working out for 5 months now, still same pain. My chiropractor advised me that lifting weights is okay just nothing over my shoulder.

Please advise suggestions on this
  • doug hell said:
    hi jack

best of luck,

-doug

love your answer - thanks for the details. can you read my above comment, and let me know your thoughts?
  • It's a catch 22. Do too much and pay the price + do too little and pay the price.... I have been dealing with stiff joints for months now as a direct result of not being able to find a mid range....

I'm no Doctor, but if your Doc says it's ok, chances are it is. Just be careful when at the gym. Less may be better in your particular situation.

-Doug
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Thanks any additional comments, and inputs are appreciated.
  • Hi Jack,
    I suffered from shooting pains, dull aches and numbness in one arm apparently caused by radiated effects from a pinched nerve in the neck. In an effort to stretch the spine and stop the pinching of the nerve, tried an inversion machine (rotates as much as 180 degrees so the body is upside down) and liked the neck stretching but didn't like the feeling of blood in the head. Tried an ultrasound generator rubbed over the painful areas, which wasn't very effective. Finally found something that worked, and it was inexpensive. The inflatable neck stretcher I use only cost about 5 or 6 bucks delivered from China. If you pay more you can probably get something like it quicker than the few weeks it took to get here. Used the inflatable neck stretcher for a half hour at a time, once a day while lying down watching tv to get the max stretching. (Can also walk around or be at the computer with it on.) Used it a few weeks until the pain/numbness went away and stayed away. Will resume in a heartbeat if the pain/numbness returns. On your posture, if you can get away with it, try slouching rather than sitting up straight to take some pressure off your spine and especially the neck. I'm slouching now at the computer while sitting in a high back chair while halfway resting my head on the top of the back of the chair. Astronauts sit in slouch seats to minimize the effect of the g forces while lifting off to reduce stress on the spine and other parts of the body. Good luck and post back with your results of trying any of this if you get a chance please.
advertisement