Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR ADVICE PLEASE

strakerstraker Posts: 1,824
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Management
i would like some feed back on the scs.as i am in constant pain .even on a high dose of oxycodone/norm .i am thinking about getting a scs when i next see my pain doctor
i have had a laminectomy at L4/L5 and a discectomy at S1 and a nerve decompression at L5 i have DDD and spinal stenosis .11 years of pain and counting do you have ant advice ?? many thanks tony
advertisement

Comments

• dear straker

I'M HAVE MY SCS TRIAL ON MONDAY, I HAVE HAD CHRONIC PAIN
    FOR THREE YEAR, DONE ALL THE USUAL STUFF, MY NS THOUGHT
    THIS WOULD HELP. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PYSCH EVALUATION FOR
    THE INSURANCE, WHICH IS A PIECE OF CAKE. IT ONLY TOOK A WEEK
    TO APPROVED BY BLUE SHIELD, WHICH SURPRISED ME, I THOUGHT
    IT WULD TAKE LONGER. I HAVE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT SCS,
    THOUGH I KNOW IT SOMETIMES WONT WORK ON SOME PEOPLE. I WILL
    KEEP YOU POSTED. I SHOULD BE ABLE TO POST MONDAY NITE
    HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND
    CINDI :)
  • thanks hun i am in the uk so insurance no problem! hope you have a good outcome re your trail.and i hope that you are not in too much pain afterwards ...thanks again tony
  • advertisement
  • Hi Tony~
    I have had my scs for about three months now and feel like it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have had back and leg pain for over ten years. The feeling of the stimulation is... strange, but it really helps! It took some time to get used to. A video I watched about the scs says it feels like a gentle message... to me it doesn't feel like a gentle message, but rather a muscle stimulator-from the inside. Hopefully you have a good PM doctor because I feel that it is SO important to the success of this thing!! I'm not going to say that I am pain free now, but I will say that I'm able to do so many more things now than I was able to do before.
    Good luck!
  • Hi Cindi~
    I just wanted to wish you luck on your trial Monday. I really hope that it gives you some much needed relief from your pain! Take it easy and don't over do it. Give the thing the very best chance possible to work! Have a great weekend!
  • thanks terrie are you in the uk?

i would like to know where you had your scs done
    i am in manchester uk
    and i would also like to know how you are getting on with your device as time gose on
    do you still reuqire loads of pain meds?
    would you keep in contact with me ?
    if so my email is tony.beer1@googlemail.com
    many thanks tony ..
  • advertisement
  • i Tony~
    I live in the US in a pretty small Texas town... My PM doc is the absolute BEST! As time has passed, I have become more accustomed to the feeling of the stimulation. I wasn't sure I could get ever get used to it, but each day I would turn up the stimulation level a smidge and it made it easier to get used to. I am still taking pain meds, but seem to have much better coverage than before. Recently I had to make a long trip to a big hospital (six hour drive) with my dad- he had to have quad bypass surgery- and I only stopped once during the drive. We spent two weeks at the hospital for surgery and recovery, and the only time I had trouble with my pain was when I had to help my dad get out of bed or back in to bed. I never would have been able to do this BEFORE the implant. I had high hopes that I would be able to get off the pain meds, but it looks like for now I'll continue to take them. My activity level has increased so much that I have a tendency to over do it. It's almost like being locked up for ten years and then finally being released! I felt like I needed to get out and do things that I couldn't do before.
    I would so recommend the scs to anyone that is thinking about getting one. Feel free to send me a private message ANY time.I'll keep up with your e-mail address too. Good luck!
  • I can truly understand what you are going through and honestly say that my SCS probably saved my life. Living with chronic pain is very challenging and stressful at times.

The thought of living another 20-30 years longer with things getting worse is not acceptable. You need to take charge of your future, like I did, and try every alternative.

My SCS gives me the temporary relief I need to get up in the morning and continue to function in my job. I am too young and unprepared for retirement so I need to work full time. Without my SCS that would be impossible especially if taking drugs was the alternative.

I strongly encourage the trial. If that works out jump right in and get the SCS installed. After the initial brake in period of a few months you will be very happy you did.

Jerry
  • I had a Medtronic SCS implanted 1 year ago this week and it saved my sanity! After 4 failed back surgeries (including fusion), and a neurosurgeon 'acidentally' chopping up the nerve roots to my left leg, I lived in constant agony. I couldn't sit, walk, lay down, clean, cook, sleep, drive, without pain. Everything was painful. I am 35 years old and a stay at home mom to 2 young girls - I can't exactly take 'time off'. I had the SCS trial done and cried when they took it out because I loved it so much!

Although I continued on serious pain medication for several months after the implant, I have gradually weaned off them and am now on NOTHING for pain.

I would warn anyone considering it that it is not a cure. Do not expect to be pain free. (It took care of about 60% of my pain.) It's like having a headache instead of a migraine - at least you can finally function. And you have to charge it, play with the remote to get the settings right, take extra time at the airport, sit with Medtronics rep. while they help you get the right stimulation in the right areas. But when you live with chronic pain for any amount of time, you will agree it's worth it to get relief!!!

• i am still in agony carnt sleep /yaking large amounts of oxycodone but i have to wait 12 weeks befor the scs pain doc can see me! what am i going to do befor that ?? turn the pain off!!...i am in heel right now i never thought things would get this bad..but all i can do is wait .thanks again love to you all tony xx
  • It's been a very long wait for me on several medical issues. Things are finally coming together now. I have my surgery date for SCS implant (did trial) Aug 12.

I know it' frustrating! If you need some information or just want to talk to someone who has gone through it, we all are here for you. You are also welcome to PM me if you like.

I currently take oxycodone and have the Fentanyl Patch, still in pain though.

Wishing you pain free days or even an hour!
    O-
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.