Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Malpractice or just simply wrong please help?

Jessicca82JJessicca82 Posts: 1
edited 02/27/2015 - 8:42 PM in Pain Management
I have been taking Roxicodone 30mg for six months, 4 per day. Before that I was on 15mg Roxicodone for a year, 3 per day. My OBGYN prescribed this medication for severe endometriosis, pelvic lesions, Menorrhagia, and other adhesions caused by the Endo. My OBGYN was harping on me for years to get a hysterectomy but I did not want to because I felt I was to young and I was also scared of what symptoms I may experience due to the hysterectomy. Finally, I agreed to go through the hysterectomy because the pain became unbearable. Not only while I was menstruating but almost daily (pelvic pain, bowel pain, pain during intercourse, etc.). I was basically almost always uncomfortable. Two weeks ago I went in for surgery to get the hysterectomy. I had a complete robotic assisted hysterectomy and was suppose to be able to be released that day. When I woke up in recovery I was in unbearable pain and the nurses could not get it under control. I soon that I was being admitted because the extent of the Endometriosis, and adhesions were much worse than the Surgeon had expected and they needed to admit me to keep the pain under control. I also was told that although I had requested to keep my left ovary(so I was not thrown in to immediate menopause) the surgeon was not able to do so because the Endometriosis basically destroyed all of my female organs.

So now the part where I need help. My surgeon sent me home with a two week prescription of 30 MG Roxicodone(6x per day) and told me that he was going to send my OBGYN the report and note in there that I would still need pain management because recovery could take up to a year and then I would need weaned off the Roxicodone. I was to also see him in two weeks for a post op visit. I went in for the visit and was told he had not yet sent over the report. Mind you, my OBGYN would not prescribe my normal prescribed medication without this report. He told me he would send it when he got to it. I asked him if he could prescribe me enough to get me through until my OBGYN could see me. HE said," loo here I am not going to be your new pain management doctor". I told them I understood that and did not expect him to but, I am still in pain and my OBGYN will not write my prescription without the report. He left the room and his nurse came back with 3 number to pain management doctors (2 didn't accept my insurance and the other wasn't accepting new patients) but no prescription. Right away I called my OBGYN and explained the situation. She had her nurse call me back to tell me that she isn't going to write it without the report. I called my surgeon the following day to see about this report only to find that he would not be in his office until Tuesday(today is Friday). I called around to find out what I could do and I was advised to call the department head. She told me the report was sent over to my OBGYN twice. I called my OBGYN and told them. They admitted to having it and told me they would let me know what my OBGYN decide. Finally at 4pm I got a call from my OBGYN herself and she said" YOU NO LONGER HAVE FEMALE ORGANS SO YOU CAN NOT POSSIBLY EXPERIENCING ANY PAIN". She also told me she did not feel comfortable prescribing me them anymore and is unsure how to wean a patient off the medication because she is unfamiliar with it . Therefore so she didn't feel comfortable doing that either. She said she was sorry and did not know what to tell me and apologized for not having answers, I am unsure what to do and I feel like I was tossed to the curb with no hope. I am still in pain and will soon be experiencing withdrawal on top of that. I want to note that I am from New York State. I am also now on temporary disability( half of my regular income) due to this surgery therefor I do not have the money to hire an attorney. If anyone has any advice please, please can you help.
Jessicca
advertisement

Comments

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Doctors are running scared with new regulations. Doctors that aren't traditionally those that treat pain, like gynecologists, are very hesitant. Though any decent gynecologist would give you meds for 2-3 wk and have you follow up with PCP or Pain Management doctor. You can seek malpractice if you want, bit it won't get you far and it'll be a multi year battle. More immediately you can contact the state medical board and request information on how to provide them information on what you view as questionable unprofessional physicians.

At this point talk to your Primary Care Physician and start there. Unfortunately the Gynecologist should be someone who can help you while you seek pain management. My SIL recently had pain issues due to nerve entrapment following her 3rd c-section in 5 yr. Her Gynecologist treated her for about 6 wk after, but then would not prescribe further and referred her to Pain Management physicians.

Your PCP should be able to provide medications while you seek out a Pain Management doc.

As a personal note, I had a NJ orthopedic surgeon who fixed my torn knee ACL text-book backwards. A 5 yr old could have seen the difference between what xrays should have reflected and what they showed. I talked to attorneys in Madison NJ and Manhattan. They said I had a case that says 100% a winner and they'd make easy money. But a multi year legal battle would be required and in a few years I'd come out slightly better off financially but physically and emotionally exhausted.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Actually it isn't malpractice. Any doc has any right to refuse and drop patients for pain control in any state. They don't even have to wean you off the meds you are on. I'm sorry I don't have better advice. How long has it been since surgery? Honestly they wouldn't be prescribing you meds after the surgery any ways, as the the doc stated the surgery should have taken care of the problem. Most surgeons send you home with a couple weeks worth of meds and that's it. Sometimes they will write you for more at post op, if they feel you need it, but this seems out of the question. Normally gyno problems aren't referred to pain management, as the problem is normally taken care of surgically. I had a hysterectomy at 28, so I understand it's tough emotionally...hang in there.

Retrolisthesis C4 of C5 and C5 of C6
    Spondylolthesis C5/C6
    Disc protrusions with Annular Tears C3/C4, C4/C5, and C5/C6
    Disc Material Compressing Spinal Cord C3/C4
    Severe Forminal Stenosis C5/C6
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis 
    Annular Tears L3/L4 and L5/S1
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Facet Anthrosis L3/L4/L5
    PLIF with Rods, Cage, and Pedicle Screws-L4/L5
  • advertisement
  • I really didn't mean for that to come out insensitive if you think it did. I am here if you want to PM me about anything. I lost my Rt Ovary first, then my uterus...both open laps. I know it's difficult having to go through something like that so young. Honestly tho, after my surgical pain healed, I was sooo much better!!! I wish the same for you!

Retrolisthesis C4 of C5 and C5 of C6
    Spondylolthesis C5/C6
    Disc protrusions with Annular Tears C3/C4, C4/C5, and C5/C6
    Disc Material Compressing Spinal Cord C3/C4
    Severe Forminal Stenosis C5/C6
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis 
    Annular Tears L3/L4 and L5/S1
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Facet Anthrosis L3/L4/L5
    PLIF with Rods, Cage, and Pedicle Screws-L4/L5