Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5/S1 disc herniation, need some advice

cm30ccm30 Posts: 2
I am new to the forums here, just looking for some advice from others who have dealt with sciatica or lower back pain.

Back in 2012, I herniated my L4/L5 disk weight lifting. It was a painful experience, I went through 6 to 8 months of pain while trying conservative treatment such as epidural injections, physical therapy and pain meds. I elected to have a micro disectomy, and immediately after the surgery my leg pain was gone. A few months later my lower back pain ended.

Since then I have been pain free, and almost as active as I was prior to the surgery.

Over the past 2 months I have had an onset of chronic lower back pain, that has now turned into sciatica. It is not nearly as severe as my prior episode, but it is very concerning.

I had an MRI, and it showed a disc herniation in the L5/S1 disk. On a positive note the L4/L5 disc looked very good with no issues. My neurosurgeon recommended 10 weeks of conservative treatment. Physical therapy, lumbar traction and pain medication as needed.

I have been living in fear all week thinking this is going to turn into the painful experience of my last disc herniation. For those that have dealt with this type of problem, any tips or advice? I really don't want to go down this road again.

If the pain worsen over this 10 weeks, would a second micro discetomy be a terrible thing? By terrible, I am thinking more along the lines of future problems.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing any advice you can give!
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,665
    edited 04/06/2015 - 9:04 AM
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

awalsh

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • To calm you, many people on this forum have had multiple micro discectomies. That said, you should only worry about what you and your physician decide is best for you.

I know the awful, crippling pain of a herniation at L4-L5 and annular tear at L5-S1. I will stand by my words that even the toughest and most pain tolerant of people would be crying if they felt the pain I had. I spent a week in bed and crawled to the bathroom.

As far as you are concerned with that pain coming back, the best you can do is LISTEN to your body and set your limits where you are comfortable. Weight lifting may have to be off the table.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • advertisement
  • SarahLindeau said:
    To calm you, many people on this forum have had multiple micro discectomies. That said, you should only worry about what you and your physician decide is best for you.

Sarah thank you for the kind words and advice. I appreciate it!I know the awful, crippling pain of a herniation at L4-L5 and annular tear at L5-S1. I will stand by my words that even the toughest and most pain tolerant of people would be crying if they felt the pain I had. I spent a week in bed and crawled to the bathroom. I could only begin to imagine what you went through and I hope you are not still dealing with the pain.

As far as you are concerned with that pain coming back, the best you can do is LISTEN to your body and set your limits where you are comfortable. Weight lifting may have to be off the table.
    Thank you! I know all too well the crippling pain from an L4-L5 herniation. I went from being a very athletic, always on the move person to almost bed ridden due to the pain. I am thankful I found a very good neurosurgeon, I went from being in constant pain to practically no pain after the microdisectomy. Two months after the surgery I was back to my normal routine, I kept weight lifting though to very low weights and high reps.

My concern and fear is just how that herniation progressed, it was a downward spiral. Nothing worked and every week I would be in worse pain. I cried often at night because I couldn't believe I was in this much pain, my life had completely changed and I feared surgery. My social life went out the window, I did nothing in my free time but read or watch movies. I could not do anything active, it was depressing, frustrating and life changing.

On the flip side I could not believe how the surgery worked. I had mild back pain after the surgery but absolutely no leg pain, it was gone almost instantly. They had me do PT for 8 weeks after the surgery and eventually that went away too.

I don't know what a second microdistecomy would do to the overall stability of my back? Would I be more likely to have another disc herniation if I have a second surgery? Will I be more likely to have a fusion? These are all things that scare me. I am 30 now and just frustrated I am dealing with this once again? I fear it will worsen and I will have to suffer again. There is definitely an emotional side to this!