Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Sick and Tired of the War on Drugs and Chronic Pain Patients suffer!

There was a letter in our town newspaper on the war on drugs and opiates. I was compelled to write a letter to the editor. Please tell me what you think of my submission.

"Do no harm"

These words are in a Doctors Oath. It is hard to imagine that a Doctor would intentionally ignore that statement. However, at times, a patient is misdiagnosed, or seen as a patient who complains or imagines symptoms and is brushed off as a hypochondriac, or far worse a drug seeker.

Thousands of people live with chronic pain. The sad fact is some people need some type of medication to have a quality of life. The problem is that many physicians will start a patient on some form of medication and Over time, the dosage will need to be increased and the patient sooner or later is labeled a drug seeker and is either dismissed from the practice with nothing more than a letter stating that they can be no longer be seen by that Doctor.

Admittedly, there are some patients who jump from doctor to doctor seeking only pain medication. But, there are many who suffer daily with some form of pain and now because they were dismissed by a Physician no other doctor will treat them, not even in an Emergency room even address the issue of chronic pain.

The war on drugs is a great way to help eliminate some of our drug problems. However, we have created another. Millions of people who are in chronic pain, are now without medication, labeled drug seekers and suffer daily without medication. Please know, that these people will not be on our streets buying illegal drugs. Those people who seek only drugs will get them no matter what or how they obtain them.

Chronic pain suffers are drug tested, scrutinized and pills counted. If they for some reason come up short on medication, they are dismissed and left without a doctor.

So I ask all of you, who are fighting the war on drugs, please do not forget the millions of people who suffer every day from debilitating diseases.

My question to any physician would be, if this was a family member suffering chronic pain, what would you do for them? Why is another patient not deserving of the same treatment?

Do no harm? What happened to your empathy? Your compassion? Not all patients before you are drug seekers.
advertisement

Comments

• This is such a serious matter. I too was taking tons of these opioids type of meds and they really do mess with your brain. Thank god I'm off them. Yeah you should send it in. Try to make them feel more guilty. You were way too soft on them :) Hugs
    Daniel
    L5S1mickeymouse
  • Wow, you hit the nail on the head there. I am a 15 year chronic pain person and know exactly what you mean. I am very fortunate to have found a doctor that I can talk to very openly and works with me and listens to what I think or feel. The people who have abused their meds have definitely made things miserable for us that do need meds in order to have any quality of life. It is sad how much stuff you see in these forums about how the illicit drug users abuse meds.
    Bella Lunacy said:
    There was a letter in our town newspaper on the war on drugs and opiates. I was compelled to write a letter to the editor. Please tell me what you think of my submission.

"Do no harm"

These words are in a Doctors Oath. It is hard to imagine that a Doctor would intentionally ignore that statement. However, at times, a patient is misdiagnosed, or seen as a patient who complains or imagines symptoms and is brushed off as a hypochondriac, or far worse a drug seeker.

Thousands of people live with chronic pain. The sad fact is some people need some type of medication to have a quality of life. The problem is that many physicians will start a patient on some form of medication and Over time, the dosage will need to be increased and the patient sooner or later is labeled a drug seeker and is either dismissed from the practice with nothing more than a letter stating that they can be no longer be seen by that Doctor.

Admittedly, there are some patients who jump from doctor to doctor seeking only pain medication. But, there are many who suffer daily with some form of pain and now because they were dismissed by a Physician no other doctor will treat them, not even in an Emergency room even address the issue of chronic pain.

The war on drugs is a great way to help eliminate some of our drug problems. However, we have created another. Millions of people who are in chronic pain, are now without medication, labeled drug seekers and suffer daily without medication. Please know, that these people will not be on our streets buying illegal drugs. Those people who seek only drugs will get them no matter what or how they obtain them.

Chronic pain suffers are drug tested, scrutinized and pills counted. If they for some reason come up short on medication, they are dismissed and left without a doctor.

So I ask all of you, who are fighting the war on drugs, please do not forget the millions of people who suffer every day from debilitating diseases.

My question to any physician would be, if this was a family member suffering chronic pain, what would you do for them? Why is another patient not deserving of the same treatment?

Do no harm? What happened to your empathy? Your compassion? Not all patients before you are drug seekers.
    Sheila Seegert
  • advertisement
  • You hit the nail on the head!
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • Doug HellDoug Hell Posts: 332
    edited 04/18/2015 - 3:40 AM
    Unfortunately, the Abusers have ruined it for all of us and the legitimate cases suffer as a direct result of that. I can feel the emotion in your letter, but you have only addressed some of the reasons why there is a war on rx drugs. I don't see anything beyond that.

In a battle against prescription drug abuse and diversion, the DEA has launched attacks on wholesalers and pharmacies within the legitimate supply chain. Healthcare Providers are leery of prescribing and severe shortages of these vital medications are the end result. In the end, patients with pain become collateral damage in this “War on Rx-Drugs.”

Doug Hell
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • However, I was limited to so many words to the "Editor" that will be my first letter regarding this issue. I feel some of us have to speak up. I can not even begin to tell you what has happened to me, and I have been living the last six months in severe pain. Since all my doctors are local and the paper is a local, I also signed my name to it. I am not going to hide and feel I must have a voice somehow. If I had the strength and the know how, I would surely be an advocate for all of us who suffer without help and made to feel like drug addicts.

Yes, there is a problem, where do we start? How do we start? Can we be the voice for one, or all?
    Bella Lunacy
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,230
    edited 04/27/2015 - 2:41 AM
    There is no question about the problems with narcotics. It has been so unfortunate that the illegal paths, the drug seekers, the crooked doctor created this situation.

There really weren't many options other than tro to control it with the onset of the DEA

There are three major areas today that should be discussed.

1. The patient who only wants the narcotic. They may have started out with a proper dosage but over time that didn't seem to help anymore. A tolerance issue? Perhaps. Wanting more so as. To eliminate the pain? Could be. Wanting narcotics even though there is no medical justification. Possible
    All sounds like something to blame the. Doctor. Not sure about that

2. The patient that will stop at nothing to get more narcotics. Could me doctor shopping, faking pain, stealing from others or street buying. All of these situations have come up for real with members on this forum at one time or so. This is what really makes it hard for those that have legitimate needs. The DEA has to step in

3. The doctor. Some doctors are scared about all of this so they hesitate writing prescriptions for people that need it. That is so wrong. That is not the type of doctor I would want to see. Then there are doctors whoninderstand their patients needs. They will write any prescription that they know their patient needs. They are not worried about the DEA, because they know they are doing the right thing a and can justify it

This is all a serious matter, some of it out of control and some that is in our control.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • For standing up for those who need to be heard. I wish there was some way for those who really need it to be heard.
    It scares me with all the laws and things that are coming out that it is only going to get worse.
    Take care Sherri
  • dilauro said:
    There is no question about the problems with narcotics. It has been so unfortunate that the illegal paths, the drug seekers, the crooked doctor created this situation.

There really weren't many options other than tro to control it with the onset of the DEA

There are three major areas today that should be discussed.

1. The patient who only wants the narcotic. They may have started out with a proper dosage but over time that didn't seem to help anymore. A tolerance issue? Perhaps. Wanting more so as. To eliminate the pain? Could be. Wanting narcotics even though there is no medical justification. Possible
    All sounds like something to blame the. Doctor. Not sure about that

2. The patient that will stop at nothing to get more narcotics. Could me doctor shopping, faking pain, stealing from others or street buying. All of these situations have come up for real with members on this forum at one time or so. This is what really makes it hard for those that have legitimate needs. The DEA has to step in

3. The doctor. Some doctors are scared about all of this so they hesitate writing prescriptions for people that need it. That is so wrong. That is not the type of doctor I would want to see. Then there are doctors whoninderstand their patients needs. They will write any prescription that they know their patient needs. They are not worried about the DEA, because they know they are doing the right thing a and can justify it

This is all a serious matter, some of it out of control and some that is in our control.
    I totally agree with everything you said. The only thing that I would add would be that there should also be some kind of accountability when in the face of clear case pain that call for proper use of these drugs. In the same way we need the DEA to make sure things don't get out of control there should also be a review board or some such to present your medical case to as to why you need pain meds, because it's simply isn't ok when doctors just waive a patient off regardless of medical history because they don't feel like being harassed.
    • Degenerative Disc Disease
    • Disc Bulge L2-L3, L4-L5
    • Disc Herniation L5-S1
    • Facet Arthrosis
    • Laminectomy L1-S1 02/18/15
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,230
    PaulMT

Its easy to dismiss someone due to DEA , regulations, restrictions, limitation, etc

But when the medical situation clearly indicates and and is a medical necessity then, there should be a statement to that effect so that the DEA and associated rules would not deny the proper treatment of medications.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    That would be a revolutionary thing to hve the review board , could not ever see it happen.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
advertisement