Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Crossfitter, Law Enforcement Officer, L5/S1 Bulge Herniation

advertisement

Comments

• So 5 days out.

No pain at all, but when I wake up in the morn and in the night to use the restroom, I find my foot is numb. I have been told over and over that my back is still inflamed and it looks like it is with a bump around my incision. I take it will take a few solid weeks for it to go down.

I am hoping and praying my numbness will subside over time as well and my strength will come back too. My foot feels a little more numb then before surgery, nothing terrible, but as I said above, it makes sense being they pushed and disturbed a lot of inners of me to fix me.

I am walking a good amount. I actually took a 4 fast running steps to get out of the way of a car the other day which i don't think was smart but I AM MORE CAREFUL NOW! haha

I was so worried I did something to my back.....but I am not in pain or anything. Sometimes we need reminders. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Brising82BBrising82 Posts: 1
    edited 07/07/2015 - 8:15 PM
    I work in law enforcement and herniated 2 discs during a foot pursuit (L4 and L5 with severe radiculpathy) and ended up having a microdiscectomy in Oct 2014. I went back to work on January 1, 2015. (Perhaps too soon, but being on light duty was driving me insane.) Well, end of April I was responding to a call and got out of my patrol car and felt a weird pain in my back again. I figured it was ok but after a few hours it started getting much worse. Well I went back to the doc, had an MRI and found that I had re herniated the discs. Supposedly only a 10 % chance of re herniation! My doctor said I would need a spinal fusion. This TERRIFIES me. I love my job. This may prevent me from being able to do it. I'm going to try cortisone shots because like I said, I'm terrified of a spinal fusion. I'm not sure how long your doc said that you'd be out of work, but I recommend more than 6-8 weeks as I think I went back too soon before my back could fully heal and be strong enough to carry all of the extra weight from my duty belt and whatnot.

Moderator's message...Please click on link for helpful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
  • advertisement
  • Here is what I wrote to another guy on this forum. I just cut and pasted it so might be more than you wanted to hear but here ya go! Good luck!

In August 2014 I started having severe pain in my right hammy which would take time off to torture my right glute, calf, and foot as well. It got progressively worse with my day to day pain at about a 7, a few episodes in the 9 and 10 range, and could get below a 5 temporarily with swimming, acupuncture, or percocet. My diagnosis after the MRI was a 10mm herniation at L5/S1 with extrusion.
    I finally caved after 2 months of the pain and got the round of 3 steroid shots. Round 1 barely touched it. After I stressed to the administering doc that my pain was all sciatic, he hit me lower and with greater volume on the second shot and dropped the pain over 50%! That saved me from surgery. The third shot helped it a little bit better and by November my pain was a temporarily manageable 3.
    I was off work for 6 months which really helped because I could completely regulate my day and my pain. By early February (2015) my pain was at about a 2. But I was still popping 2400 mg a day of Ibuprofen. I went to Light Duty at that point and took a few steps backward. Sitting for an hour or so, driving around town, and just being unable to completely regulate exacerbated it. But gradually I was able to get back to that point, cut back on the Ibuprofen, and ultimately quit it all together. Right at the 9 month point I was at a 2 pain level without any drugs to help. I took another month to test it and returned to work Full Duty at 10 months. I've only gotten better over the past few weeks. I'm still careful with weights but started running a bit lately, have been hitting stairs with a 30 lb pack (80 floors), and doing pretty much every other CrossFit exercise besides Olympic Lifting (pull-ups, rowing, box jumps, etc.)
    Personally, I believe time was the biggest factor. You've got to let the inflammation die down and NOT inflame it back up. I kept testing it along the way and would pay for it here and there. I fell on my skateboard on a mini-ramp (I know, stupid!) and that set me back a couple of weeks. Other than that, Press-Ups (from the McKenzie Method) seemed to really help. One night at dinner like 4 months ago, a 4 or 5 pain hit me out of the blue. I dropped to the floor, did Press-ups for a minute, and the pain was gone! It only worked that well the one time but made a believer out of me. Swimming was awesome. Allowed me to stay in shape during it all, the reduction in gravity (while some believe can make it worse once you get out of the pool, not me!) gives you short-term relief while you're in the pool and lasts an hour or so afterwards, and the careful, long pulls potentially stretch you out. I did acupuncture for a couple of months early on. It gave me immediate relief but within an hour I was right back to where I was before. And the last time I went I came out hurting more than when I went in. Not for me. I tried Yoga while I was still in Hell and I wasn't ready. I've been following ROMWOD.com religiously now for over a month and feel awesome.
    I hope any or all of this helps you brother. I feel your pain and 22 is waaaay to young to be going through this. Someone once told me that its a year recovery whether you have the surgery or not. You just have to deal with the pain longer if you can hold out. But surgery scares the crap out of me and I am holding it as a last resort.

Update: Been ROMWODing for 2 months now and will never stop. Helping me tremendously! I've upped my CF to muscle ups, HSPUs, Box Jumps, etc. but still staying away from moderate weight. Getting there without surgery is possible. There are a lot of people on these forums that have had the surgery and still have pain. That sucks and I feel really bad for those folks. But maybe some of these same movements such as swimming, core work, and ROMWOD can help them too.

Good luck everyone.
    Eric