Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Drug Test for Pain Medication

I live in TX and was in a car accident in March of 2014. I have 3 herniated disc L4, L5, S1 with pain in my buttocks and legs and constant foot pain. Excruciating pain. I had contacted a lawyer as my primary care Dr. wouldn't see me as it was from a car accident. When I went to the ER they only gave me 3 pain pills, no x-rays and told me I would be better in about 3 weeks. I called a lawyer just so I could find out what Dr. I could see, they took my case, I wasn't looking for a lawsuit I just wanted to see a dr. and first was sent to see chiropractor and was given hydrocodone. I had 2 Spinal epidurals which didn't help. Sent to ortho Dr. who said needed a fusion. I had MRI, X-rays, Discogram.
I am now on 10M percocet and I also take gabapentin, tizanidine. One month he gave me 15M morphine for night time breakthrough pain, it didn't help. 10/325 percocet, 1 every 4 to 6 hours is the most he will give me and acts like I'm a drug abuser. I am waiting to get surgery and was sent to an ortho dr. not on my medical plan, so I had to get on my husbands ins to see him but now the lawyer is saying I need to wait til the lawsuit settles and if I'm lucky I will barely get enough to pay for my out of pocket for my surgery. In the meantime, when I see the pain mgmt dr. as I was on a letter of protection and now that the lawyer submitted to the Insurance comp to settle when I see the pain mgmt. Dr. I am no longer on letter of protection, so now the pain mgmt dr. says I have to take a drug test every month just to get my pain meds, and after insurance is charging me $415.00 month, for the drug test and $40.00 just for the visit with ins. plus med cost. I am on FLMA at work and miss 2 to 3 days a week of work and am about to get fired as I can barely sit. I want to apply for disability but lawyer said it takes a year or more and u constantly get denied. I just can't work anymore as I am getting worse. My question is does anyone else have to get monthly drug test just to get pain medication? I'm not a drug abuser, I don't even drink alcohol. Is it just that pain mgmt. Dr or do they all do that? I cannot get my surgery prob for another 2 to 3 months or however long it takes to settle and I can't afford the $415.00 month. Please let me know if this is all pain mgmt dr.s routine or if its just this Dr. ?????
advertisement

Comments

• Hi... It's pain clinics. They all do this pretty much. Some do random ones, but all of them do it in one way or another. I had tests monthly, and they do this for several reasons. 1) to make sure there are no illegal drugs in your system, or drugs they don't prescribe. 2), they check the level of meds in your system. Once they have your meds at a certain level they expect the level of that med not to change, unless they changed the dose. Does that answer your question?
    04/24/15
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    ---------
    04/09/13
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    ----------
    03/13/12
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)
  • I wouldn't say it's all pain management. I've been going to pain management for a year or so now and have never been drug tested. We've switched around trying different meds and different strengths and not once have I been tested. In all honesty, I think it depends on where you are and what kind of people are in that area. The one I go to is in a nicer area and a buddy of mine goes to one in an area known for its issues with illicit drug use and they seem to test if you just look at them wrong.
    In my own personal opinion, unless you have signed a contract with your current pain management stating you will only go through them to get the medication you need prescribed, I'd look for another dr/pain clinic. it never hurts to get a second opinion. Dr's will all have their own style of practice, and you just need to find one who fits your needs and feel comfortable with.
    I hope the best for you and that you get the help that you need.
  • advertisement
  • BpainFree39BBpainFree39 Posts: 127
    edited 04/26/2015 - 3:40 AM
    Interesting... I have been through 2 clinics, and in NC they all do this. I think it's more the state you're in than the area.
    04/24/15
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    ---------
    04/09/13
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    ----------
    03/13/12
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,521
    many times is left up to the doctor's decision. Yes, some states may have stricter rules and regulations, but at this point there is no one federal mandate.

I have been seeing the same physiatrist (pain rehabilitation doctor) since 2006 and I have been on one type of narcotic on a regular basis since then. I have never had to sign or even discuss a pain contract. Yet, many patients going to the same doctor do have to sign pain contracts.

I asked the doctor about this, since we have known each other now for almost 10 years. She told me that it is pretty much standard practice to use pain contracts, however, so much depends on the patient themselves. Doing clinical examinations and reviews, plus monthly or so follow ups, she can determine if a pain contract is required.

She told me that besides the above, which amounts to almost 85% of her decision, the other comes from the patient. The words,
    I want, I need, give me a stronger dosage, etc all raise a yellow cautious flag. As she continues with that patient, that flag can go to green or head towards red

Thats when the final decision about pain contracts, that regular drug testing, random drug counts, etc are put into place.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I completely agree with Ron. On the whole, it depends on so much like the state, doctor, and patient. I've never had to take a urine test for the eight months I've been on Norco. My pain contract states that I will only be tested if they become suspicious of misuse, abuse, or other illegal drug use. However, I do know it's standard practice in a lot of states and doctor offices.
  • advertisement
advertisement