Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

loosing hight again after surgery

Jude hallJJude hall Posts: 8
edited 05/04/2015 - 2:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I'am 8 & half weeks post spinal surgery. I had rods and pins from T4 to L3 with oestiotomies and bone grafts. In other words a lot of work done. I'm still on regular morphine for the pain but my biggest worry is that when I came home from hospital I had gain around 3inches in high which was great but now 8 weeks on I have lost at least 1inch of that.

So my question today is,
Is this loss of hight post op an indication that something might be going wrong or is the loss of hight nothing to ne concerned about also should I give by surgeon a call about this?

If anyone has experience of these issues or has any answer to what might be going on I would love to hear from you.

Regards Jude.
advertisement

Comments

• This is a great question for your surgeon. Are you scheduled for any postoperative appointments? They will do an X-ray to check positioning of the titanium and make sure nothing has moved. I would definitely call your surgeon's office if you don't have an appointment coming up soon. Are you noticing any pain?
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Thanks SarahLindeau, for your post. I have my first post op follow up this friday so I will be asking the surgeons about my concerns then. I'm expecting xrays to be done but don't know if its regular to do another scans. I have had pains in the lumbar region down through my hip but not sure if this is expected at this early time post op so again I will question this too.
    I'll keep things on here updated as I get any answers.
    Regards Jude.
  • advertisement
  • Losing so much height so quickly sounds scary to me, but it depends on your medical condition. Did you have surgery for scoliosis?

I'd log your pain in a pain journal and keep tabs on it several times a day. For me, every time I had a follow up visit, they did a series of X-rays. In your case, it will probably be the same unless there is concern.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,241
    height, but that generally happens over a period of time.
    This is more true when the surgery does not involve fusion or other procedures to keep the disc spacer apart.

With the partial laminectomies and such when the part disc is removed, there will be some compression of that space.
    With a number of these type of surgeries over a spread of discs it would be easy to see some change in height.

But as I said and as Sarah mentioned, that takes time. I could not imagine it happening as quickly as you are seeing.
    Ask your doctor about this.

I used to kid folks saying that when I was in my prime, I had a good chance at playing professional basketball. I was a deadly shooter, could dunk and rebound with the best of them. At 6'7" you would hope that would be normal.
    But my career in basketball was cut short by spinal operations That is why I am now only 5'9 and 1/2, 5/8 no 7/8 " tall.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Haha! Are you serious Ron? From 6'7" to 5'9"? That is an incredible change! Your wife could say you're a different man, haha. I luckily "grew" 1.5" after my decompression. ;) now I'm nearly 5'9" ;)
  • advertisement
advertisement