Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Good options for less narcotic-y pain meds

advertisement

Comments

• I first need to state emphatically that needing pain medication to treat a physical condition does NOT an addict make! I have been off of narcotics for over 2 months and my quality of life has been greatly reduced.

That being said, my "less narcotic-y" alternatives have been NSAIDS, ice, lidocaine patches, gabapentin, methocarbamol (muscle relaxer), and an anti-depressant to help be get through withdrawals. Plus I've just had 2 cervical epidural steroid injections. -----

I have found nothing that does much more than provide a little temporary relief. Narcotics have their place. Since being off of them I have a newfound respect for the role they play in a chronic pain sufferer's life.
  • I have just been told my nerve pain / back pain is most likely chronic. I would love hearing what others may have to offer in regards to CP without narcotics.
  • advertisement
  • I have fibromyalgia sciatica and many surgeries. Without pain mgmt I have no quantity of life. I would rather have some relief than go back to the days when I could do nothing,not see friends, or do things with family etc. It's a shame that chronic pain people who take medication is lumped into drug addicts. And now because dea is making no distinction between the two, it's hard for us who need meds to get them. So unfair. It's a personal choice whether to medicate or not. I have made mine and won't apologize for it!
  • I think it's awesome that you decided to do this. It takes incredible strength to do so, and determination.
    I have done similar, at different points in my journey , wanting to see if/how I could function without the meds as well.
    Opiates do have their place, and so do all of the other alternatives you are using as well. Each thing that brings a little relief is another tool that you can use.
    I also do some regular walking, and stretching, swimming really helps more than anything, and I try to use over the counter muscle and pain creams and ointments as well.
    All of them help me keep my opiate use down on the low end of the spectrum, even after all these years and for me, I consider that success.

• Merry go round of medications
    Starting with very severe menstrual cramps graduating to unbelievable migraines Diagnosed with neck arthritis yada yada. End result. Was up to 20 pills a day for pain anxiety & depression ( duh). Detoxed from that. But the PROBLEMS were never addressed! So the "formulas" started again. 10+ years of mscontin 15mgx2, klonopin & Xanax 4 severe insomnia went off ms 2 weeks ago. Still cannot b active. Everything hurts. Still taking klonopin & Xanax & getting off klonopin causes DAYS of severe migraines but the Xanax was not doing it. Does anybody hv a clue how to stop this rollercoaster?? Yes it helped me function & I'm a young widow with 2 children but it does do "things" to my personality! HELP????
  • advertisement
advertisement