Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Why is my shoulder buzzing?

My spine problems seem to be moving up after my fusion in 2013. My thoracic spine is painful and has some discs bulges and I also have issues at C7-T1. Is that what is causing the intermittent buzzing feeling I feel on the backside of my left shoulder? It "buzzes," for lack of a better word, every ten seconds, for about a second in duration, all day long. It almost feels like I have my cell phone on vibrate and inside my jacket, on the back of my shoulder. It's not painful, but it is quickly becoming very tiresome.

I looked up the dermatomes and it may explain it but I wanted to ask if anyone feels the same?

Thanks
2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,430
    disc problems, I also had problems with my shoulders, and pinpointing to the middle of my shoulder blades.

I would get burning , stabbing pain that at times felt like it was vibrating. So, I dont know if that fits into your category
    about buzzing?

Eventually, I was diagnosed with TOS (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome). When read all the details behind TOS, I almost break it down to meaning sciatica of your shoulders and chest. It involves the compression of blood vessels and nerves in the thoracic area where they exit your chest.

Of course then I eventually graduated to my shoulder osteoarthritis condition, but you dont want to hear about this now....
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Ron,

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. Just don't want this to be the case. Until this started, I've only had localized pain on my spine, nothing radiating. So far, the discomfort is only the vibrating sensation and not burning, so I hope it stays that way.

How's the ankle?
  • advertisement
  • I'm scheduled for a T7-T8 epidural steroid injection on Tuesday . Not really sure what to think of this
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,430
    edited 05/17/2015 - 6:39 PM
    The ESI on my thoracic area did fare better than the injections on the rest oft spine

What helped me the most for my thoracic discs was acupuncture along with series of trigger point injections. Never "fixed" it but did. give me a good amount of pain relief
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Tonight I'm having pretty severe pain in my left shoulder blade, so perhaps it is time to do something. Just not sure I am mentally ready to start the process all over again :/
  • advertisement
  • Funny, been having something similar in my R shoulder for about 6 weeks. Starts out feeling like chills and progresses to a crawling sensation-- when I tried to describe it to my doctor I said it felt like a TENS unit but he had never experienced one. When it happens I try to correct my posture (thinking it occurs more when my head is forward.)
    First lumbar herniations 1997
    Fall from bike=>Transient paralysis/central cord/ACDF C5-6-7 2001
    T10-11-12 lamincetomy, T8 herniation 2004 (mild caudia equina)
    Head/neck took some whacks Jan 2015....
  • Thanks ctl - I couldn't get it to go away no matter what I did. It has progressed to a severe shooting pain now on the back of my shoulder blade so I may be experiencing an impingement if some sort
  • SarahLindeau said:
    Thanks ctl - I couldn't get it to go away no matter what I did. It has progressed to a severe shooting pain now on the back of my shoulder blade so I may be experiencing an impingement if some sort
    I see you've had your share of thoracic and lumbar stuff... was your c-spine ever imaged?
    As I'm sure you're finding-- parasthesias in the upper body can be psychologically harder to cope with 'cuz they're closer to your head....
    First lumbar herniations 1997
    Fall from bike=>Transient paralysis/central cord/ACDF C5-6-7 2001
    T10-11-12 lamincetomy, T8 herniation 2004 (mild caudia equina)
    Head/neck took some whacks Jan 2015....
  • Yes it is seemingly an ongoing issue for me having problems with my spine. The neurological effects of the thoracic and cervical bulges are a little more frightening this time compared to the sciatica my lumbar spine issues caused. My lumbar pain itself was by far worse, but the cervical and thoracic nerve stuff is more confusing and as I said, unnerving.

I have never had a accident or trauma with my spine. Just a bad roll of the dice, genetically speaking. How about you?
  • My C-spine has never been imaged. Would you suggest doing so, given the symptoms?
advertisement