Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Can't get anything stronger

I'm really suffering today and can't get stronger meds because my clinic does not prescribe anything other than tramadol. It helps a little but does not touch this kind of pain. They want to refer me to pain management, but I can't pay out of pocket for it. I guess I could go to the ER, but without health insurance I’ll be left with a $4,000 bill. Also, today I had to quit my job because the pain is too high.

I was fine because I was resting, but all I did today was clean the bathroom and my pain shot up... Ah yes, the joys of life...

04/24/15
Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
---------
04/09/13
L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
----------
03/13/12
(PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,521
    Without being able to financially cover things, I don't have suggestions.
    Tramadol works for so many
    Remember narcotics are not the only way to manage pain. Look at our FAQ and scroll down until you see THE BLEND. Read that one
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Dilauro, I hear you, and appreciate your advice as always. I am doing some of the other things I can, and I have an icyhot patch on right now which does help the muscle cramping and spasms a little. Being that any movements cause the pain to go up, it limits what I can do. Stretching, and exercise make it worse, and I am really limited to the things I can do other than medications right now. I am going to do acupuncture in hopes it does something, and will be getting soft tissue massage too. I don't want to go to different doctors, but If I don't feel better soon, I am going to tell my doctor I have no choice but to try the ER. Perhaps they can give me a toradol shot to calm the nerves down and give me stronger meds. The ER is the only place that wont turn me away without cash in hand to pay for it.
    04/24/15
    ---------
    04/09/13
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    ----------
    03/13/12
  • advertisement
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    I am sorry to hear all of this. It's all such a catch 22
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • I feel like screaming. Went to the doctor and had to make him understand what my CT scan says. He said nothing was abnormal until I showed him. These reports radiologists give are a joke. I had to read it line by line with my doctor and explain what it says. Gotta love county funded free clinics. I'm at the mercy of lack of access, rude staff, and a doctor who is more concerned I go to pain management than to understand what's wrong in the first place.
    04/24/15
    ---------
    04/09/13
    ----------
    03/13/12
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    I don't know, but would think, a few too many trips to ER could risk your long term care...as you could be labeled drug seeker.

I understand your doctor wanting you to see PM....for managing the pain to keep you out of the ER.
    And your doc probably frustrated he can't treat you appropriately. It's true your med works for some or many, but not all and appearantly not you.

I don't know how your insurance or lack there of works. Would your doctor be able to refer you to PM doc willing to work with you?
    Are there other resources available to you that you may not be aware of?
    You said you had to quit your job. You are going to need to eat.....let alone medical care.
    Seeing a disability attorney....(doesn't necessarily mean for the rest of your life...could be temporary) or social worker, which should be free to you, may guide you. Worth a try, I think.

There are people out there to help you.
    Don't give up searching for answer until you find help for your situation.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • Yes, I agree. I don't like going to the ER. I did not go, but I was close. My back, and hip were on fire. Yes, I agree with you about my doctor as well. He does want to help me, and his hands are tied about what he can do. He does want to refer me, but the PM clinic is self pay, and is 300.00 for the first visit, and 150.00 per month not including meds, injections, or any treatments.

I might have found an access point. A church funded program has a clinic that might get me in to an all donation run program. They were able to give me a voucher for my Neurontin so I can actually take it, plus pointed me to another place that can help with my 3 other meds. As far as eating goes I am on foodstamps, and am lucky to have a very supportive girlfriend who I was helping before all of this happened. Now she's helping me, so at least I wont starve. I qualify for Social Security disability and have an attorney perusing my case now.

You are right, I can't give up. Some days I want to because everything is stacked against a person who cant take care of themselves in this country.
    04/24/15
    ---------
    04/09/13
    ----------
    03/13/12
advertisement