Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Discectomy with ACDF C6-7 this Wednesday 5/13/15 8am

Hello All,
Just got off phone with nurse who took my history, meds and gave me my surgery time. I am having my discectomy with ACDF C6-7 this Wednesday at 8am. Well that is when we are to arrive at the hospital so I would imagine between 9-10 my surgery should be underway. I am feeling very positive about my procedure, confident in my surgeon and feel very ready to start living a normal life without this horrible left arm pain. I have had a C7 radiculopathy that has caused unbelievable pain , weakness, sensory and decreased reflexes. Since I am being admitted so early it is my hope that I can skirt out of the hospital later that evening as long as all goes well. Please send me your positive healing thoughts. I will update you all when able. Thank you all so much. This site has been such a blessing to me. So glad that I happened upon it and met some really super people. Lisa
Lisa
advertisement

Comments

• ivymiivym Posts: 278
    edited 05/11/2015 - 3:37 PM
    Sending positive healing thoughts and prayers your way. You are going to do great. Soon you will be on the other side of all of this and so will I.

Love,
    ivym
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 606
    Good luck with your surgery! Soon you'll be back here telling us how much better you feel.
    I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers.
    Cathy
  • advertisement
  • Good luck tomorrow, don't sweat it. As my NS said to me..... "you will breeze through this" .

My surgery was not bad, first couple of days were a little uncomfortable but manageable with meds (don't skip them). Focus on recovery, rest and settle in for a few weeks of not doing anything other then relaxing, catching up some TV shows, or movies, then make a bucket list for vacation this summer.... etc. Now go have a great dinner tonight!! :)

Kenny
  • Thank you all for your prayers and kind words. I am feeling very positive about the surgery. I think my surgeon has done so many he could probably do it blindfolded. :) Kenny- I love that your NS said" don't sweat it". I I am only through the first year of House of Cards so would like to watch some more of that series. I guess what I am most worried about is my throat ie pain will I talk like Mr. Ed? Cathy and Ivy I am planning on coming back on the site hopefully by Thursday and will give you my positive report. I would say tomorrow if I am discharged early enough. Definitely not planning to stay the night. Kenny thanks again for sending me the fab photos of your neck :) That really gave me an idea of what to expect. You guys rock and I really appreciate your kindness.
    Lisa
  • ivymiivym Posts: 278
    edited 05/12/2015 - 12:55 PM
    every couple of hours. So happy for you Lisa.

ivy
  • advertisement
  • And so your journey continues. May God's hands guide you safely to the other side. You will do great and you will feel so much better. Healing thoughts coming your way.

xoxo,
    ivy

• Hello all,
    I was scheduled for day surgery. My insurance gave me 23 hours. I was out in about 11 hours, Surgery was a success. Left arm pain gone, even lost the numbness and tingling that I had in my thumb and 1st two fingers. I do have a lot of soreness in my throat. Hurts to swallow and if feels like I was karate chopped in the throat.Someone on the board described the same thing. I have a lot of spasm in my traps and upper back. Taking my pain meds religiously today as my nurse said that today would be hardest day. The Doc put on a bioclussive dressing (waterproof) so I can shower. Yea!
    He also just told me that he is ordering me a bone simulator neck brace that I am to wear 4 hours a day. Have to look into that never seen one before. Drinking a lot of fluids using a straw helps greatly. I do not think I had a drain because everything was covered up with the dressing. I did scratch my cornea at some point after surgery so they gave me me numbing eye drops and en eye patch ARGH! Woke up this morning and took patch off and eye was fine.
    If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer. Thank you for the prayers Ivy, Kenny and Cathy. :)
    Lisa
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,430
    that there are going to be good days and bad while recovering from surgery.

This is normal and to be expected. Patients need to play their role and making sure that they adhere to all the restrictions and limitations that their doctor placed on them.

Just always be prepared for the roller coaster ride. And always hope that the downsides are always shorting than the good times
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • You know Lisa I had to work that phrase into my vocabulary. You are now on the other side and doing great. So glad to hear from you. Are you in a collar? Are you able to eat?You are in my prayers.

Love
    Ivy
  • Welcome back Lisa... glad the surgery is over, anticipating for surgery is the worst part IMO. the throat and the pain will get better and better slowly! Now onto recovery and it will test your patience at times... Like Ron said, prepare for ups and downs.

Kenny
advertisement