Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Discectomy with ACDF C6-7 this Wednesday 5/13/15 8am

advertisement

Comments

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 606
    So good to hear from you & that all is well! I wish you continued success in your healing.
    When I first found out that my first surgery didn't fuse, my new doctor ordered me one of those bone growth stimulator collars. I had to wear it for 4 hours a day. It gave me horrible headaches? I begged to let me stop wearing it. My doc said he never had anyone complain of headaches while wearing it? So I had to continue to wear it and since mine is a work related injury, I had to make sure I did everything that doc said to do!
    Cathy
  • Does it hurt? Is it expensive? How does it work?

Ivy
  • advertisement
  • Erik talked to my Doc about it today, I know nothing about it. Looked up a a picture on internet. It is called a bone growth stimulator not simulator. Supposedly someone is coming out to house to fit me for it. No brace for me thank God. I have to do some research too Ivy. I think they are thinking it might help the fusion due to my diabetes, It wraps around the back of your neck and the electric part I guess hangs at top of chest. Because I use electrical stim at my job as a PT I am wondering if it works at some specific frequency that encourages bone to lay down. We use estim to help heal wounds, strengthen muscles, decrease pain. It is amazing . Do a search on internet and you will see what it looks like. I am thinking you would not get one because you are having artificial discs surgery with a cage right? We are trying to fuse my c6-7 . I think the best thing I can do is keep my BS as close to normal as possible. I did break my wrist a couple of years ago playing softball so I think my body will lay bone down.
    Lisa
  • Hope you had a good day. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Ivy
  • Asil65AAsil65 Posts: 112
    edited 05/17/2015 - 2:08 AM
    Doing much better. Taking extra naps helps a bunch. Ate regular food yesterday . just really had to cut up meat into small bites.
    throat much less sore. but still have neck and back spasms. Still taking meds pretty regularly. going out to watch my daughters basketball game today will bring soft collar if I get fatigued. Better each day. Have a great Sunday!
    Lisa
  • advertisement
  • Hi...
    nap is great isn't? I take one almost everyday in the afternoon, I will miss my nap when I go back to work!! Awesome you are eating regular food. Keep up with the meds... glad you are doing better and better!!

it's my nap time now :)

Kenny
  • Hi Asil65. Very encouraging news. It's great to see you doing so well. I'll be going for surgery May 26th, the day after Memorial Day. I'll be having a 4-level ACDF of C3-C7 . I'm starting to get a little anxious about it. I wish you continued healing going forward. Thank you for posting your story. I will continue to read this thread to see how you progress, as the journey continues. :)

KEN
  • Well well done Lisa - great to see you come out the other side of the ACDF sausage machine with a new experience of normalness!! get off the pain meds as soon as you can safely do so....they're addictive little buggers. I just started to skip a meal with one then two meals then three meals, then next pill etc etc - sometimes the med mask pain that might have actually gone. See how you go.

Hmmm...."you bloody ripper!" - Ivy you are such a funny person - its good to see that you got the conext perfectly though hon! Still thinking of you every day you know.

Lisa, keep telling your story - I found it very healing to write about my ups and downs as everyone on this forum understands you and "gets it" - and that is really important when your friends and family start thinking you are more well than you are and start pushing you again.

Anyway, goodonyamate; yep Ives, that's one word - you have to say it all as one word. Aussie slang is so lazy!

Love to all
    Rich xoxo
    C6/7 ACDF 18th April 2015 after 8 years of mucking around pretending it was something else...
  • Please keep us posted. I am having 3 level plus disc removal June 9 Dum da dum dum......very nervous but we will be ok.
  • Hi all. I am new to the forum. I found this site while looking for information. I had my ACDF with instrumentation 6 days ago. It was performed on my C6-C7. Things did not go as planned, but they got it done. I am having a lot of muscle pain, but nothing that worries me. I do, however, have concerns about my throat. It has been sore all week, but now I have a huge knot on the front of my throat. It feels like an egg. I can swallow, but it feels like there is a golf ball in my throat. Is this pretty normal? I can't reach my surgeon and all he said to my husband was that I would be stiff and sore for a couple of days. The surgeon did not come to see me before they discharged me and the nurses did not know how to answer my questions. My follow up appointment is not for another month. I have no neck brace. The incusion looks and feels good even though the knot is right above it. My incision is about 4 inches wide. Any stories/advice would be appreciated. Thank you. :)
advertisement