Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Discectomy with ACDF C6-7 this Wednesday 5/13/15 8am

advertisement

Comments

• RichardARRichardA Posts: 149
    edited 05/17/2015 - 11:50 PM
    Nothing more to be said.
    Love you.
    Rich xoxo
    C6/7 ACDF 18th April 2015 after 8 years of mucking around pretending it was something else...
  • Hi Beth,
    Sore throat is a given for this surgery given that they move your throat to one side and stuff a plastic tube down it whilst they are beavering away. The sore throat also arises from the fact that they stitch you up inside and the incision site is probably inflamed so feels like it is "pressing" on your throat.
    Icecream works well for it and there is apparently a throat spray you can buy that soothes it a bit as well.
    It lasts differently fro everyone - for me it was about 2-3 weeks.
    Please note that the inflammation is good! Your spine needs the inflammation to begin the process of fusion on a cellular level, so don't worry about the throat, and I certainly was advised to not take any anti-inflammatories as it can slow the fusion process and undo the good work that the inflammation does.
    Hope this helps. Thereis heaps of good info on this forum for all your questions!
    Rich
    C6/7 ACDF 18th April 2015 after 8 years of mucking around pretending it was something else...
  • advertisement
  • Day 7 post op because I am up so late- :)
    M sore throat is pretty much gone. Did take my bandage off on Monday. Was a bit freaked out that I would look like Frankenstein's sister. One steri strip fell off so can see my scar. It looks really healed no redness except for around the incision. They used a bioocculsive dressing and I think my skin had a minor reaction to it. Damn tape issues. it was so nice to be able to take showers. I felt human.
    Tapering off meds. Trying to spread out the percoset for a couple more hours still taking my valium about 3 times a day. It truly messes up your bowels so I agree with Rich get off them as soon a s possible. Did a little weight lifting with a tiny 2 pound weight for my left arm. Things seems a bit stronger and controlled . Now just have to get strength back. I want to be sure I am doing all of the right things to promote a fusion. I am a type 1 diabetic so that puts me at a slight dissadvantage. But I am pretty well controlled. Taking my vitamin c, d and calcium. Figured can't hurt.
    It is kind of strange that i feel as if my scar is slightly raised. To be expected? All in all I feel pretty good. Off to Virginia for a wedding on Friday . Will wear my soft collar for safety. Found some nice lightweight accessory scarves to hide my scar. So excited to see my chums. Best wishes to all of you. Thank you all for your support. Lisa
    Lisa
  • Hey Hey, glad to hear you are doing well! Yep, even after 6 weeks my incision still a little bit swollen from inside, your outside might sealed but LOTS of healing are going on inside, glad the throat is better. NO ONE understand the grat feeling of hot shower hitting your neck except us!!! it's awesome isn't it!

Keep up the recovery and take things slow. .... Kenny
  • Scar looks pretty good. Thanks for explaining that to me Kenny about the inside still healing. The raised scar seemed as if something was wrong but I guess in time it will flatten out. My Docs really did not give me any precautions except no driving 2 weeks and no lifting greater than 12 pounds. My neck ROM is pretty good just wondering if I should be moving my neck around? I guess I would have had written neck ROM precautions on my d/c PW. Doc said I could start lifting small 2-3 # weights over my head especially to isolate the triceps this past weekend.
    Lisa
  • advertisement
  • I want to thank you for taking your time to give me answers and advice. I became really ill with nausea and vomiting Sunday that has not ended. I decided to see my family doctor today for that. The lump in my throat has gotten considerably larger so she looked at it. She believes I have a busted stich on the inside and that the lump is actually blood build up. As I was in recovery I had a severe reaction to the Morphine. I vomited pretty badly as part of that reaction so I figured that is when I broke the stitch. The lump is probably bigger due to four days of vomiting this week. I had only being using ice therapy so she suggested alternating with heat. If the lump continues to grow or does not go away she will send me for an x-ray. My NS is hard to get into and being three hours away with driving restrictions it is nice to have her looking after it. Other than that and sore muscles, I am feeling better. I am a diabetic as well so thankfully sugar free popsicles have been to the rescue. Going to stick with a liquid diet until my throat and stomach heals. Once again, thank you. :)
  • Really? only no driving for 2 weeks? and 12 pounds. I am so jealous!! my incision looks great from outside but you can still feel it when you touch it and feel the tightness when I turn my head to the right.

Now, I need to finished those overstock of apple sauce, baby food and cream of chicken soup. (my throat got better quicker than I thought)

Happy Thoughts .....Happy Thoughts
    Kenny
advertisement