Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

What doctors to see? Desperate!

Hi all,
I am curious as to what doctors you have seen for your chronic pain? I currently see my neurosurgeon (3 spinal fusions), a psychologist and psychiatrist, physical and occupational therapist, pain doctor, and neurology along with a massage therapist. I have been in severe pain for quite a while now but my pain has worsened and I'm at the point where I am desperate for some answers. I feel like something is wrong even though X-rays show that everything is fine with my fusions. I am at a loss. I don't know if I should consult with a plastic surgeon to talk about my scar tissue and possibly a scar tissue revision, or if I should see an orthopedist or what I should do. I'm hoping you could give me some guidance because at this point I am really stuck!


  • a physical medicine and rehab physician. Undergoing more surgery in hopes of it working without knowing what's causing the pain is only likely to wind up causing more pain and more scar tissue.

  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,433
    what is a physiatrist?

    i've been under the treatment of a physiatrist since 2006. she has totally taken charge of my medical condition.
    that inculdes:
    • - all my medications- scheduling diagnostic tests- perform acupuncture , trigger point injections , and emg- recommend any additional medical professionals- offers non-traditional and eastern medicine treatments
    she knows everything there is to know about my medical history and immediate medical condition. she is the one doctor that i have more than 100% confidence and trust in. i am also fortunate that this has worked two ways. she trusts me.

    to me, this type of doctor is the one who is going to come up with the best options. many times, surgery is not the answer, the physiatrist is the type of doctor that can help you determine this.

    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    If it continues to progress and you see the type of dr spoken about above, you may want to seek more prestigious hospitals or teaching hospitals around your area. It could be so many things causing the worsening issues. I highly recommend a neuromuscular specialist if the pain in neurological in nature, far better type of neurologist to me. They dig down through muscular , neurological, mental and find out which one is causing the issue if its of the neuro type of pain.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • 1028761102876 Posts: 248
    edited 05/20/2015 - 10:30 AM
    Just curious but does anyone think that maybe I should go see an orthopedic doctor? I also want to clear up that none of my surgeries have been for pain issues, 2 were for instability and the last one was for loose screws.
  • be helpful if it is an anatomical problem that is causing the pain but the reason I suggested a physiatrist is that I have found that mine tends to order the testing that may be needed to find out what's causing the problem and coordinates the additional consults I may need.

  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.