Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

New to forum, not new to back pain

TonymTTonym Posts: 2
edited 05/22/2015 - 11:04 PM in New Member Introductions
New to the forum. Forty four years old and have experienced the joys of lower back pain most of my adult life. Up early again, having one of my lower back "flair ups" so thought I would get on the blog and introduce myself.

I live in Jacksonville, FL and the lucky father of 3 great young kids ranging from 4 to 9.

Thanks for checking out my post. Tony

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Tony welcome from another long term back sufferer :-). I managed my back problem for approx 25 years before it went beyond self management. I have posted my full introduction in May surgery buddies but if you want advice/help or just support any questions are welcome. I joined this forum for support but also to share any knowledge I have built up over the years if it helps anybody :-)
    AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    You will find a wealth of info on this site.
    As you investigate the site and what it can offer you......there is also .....search.....on this site right upper page.

Just type in what you interested in and you may be led to older posts, articles and videos....very informative.

If you were able to give a little more info about your conditions and symptoms, you may find more people to respond as they relate to your situation.
    Keep us posted on how you're doing!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • Hi Tonym. I'm another long term back sufferer. Have you seen a doctor about your lower back pain? Have you had any tests such as a Cat Scan, or an MRI? You need to find out what's causing your back flair up's. Once you find the cause, then you can find out how to treat it. Good luck.

KEN
  • Thanks for the warm responses. Appreciate it. I've had two back surgeries and been dealing with this for about 25 yeas as well. The best you can do is just take it day by day, appreciate the good days, tolerate the not so good days and wait out the really bad days.

Has been feeling good the past few days but staring off today at 4:30 am this morning with some pain. Just comes and goes randomly sometimes as i am sure you understand.

Got some pain meds going which help for sure.

Anyone know if a good computer tray to use while laying flat on your back? I've tried about 4 different products and even built one in my garage but can get the right angle.

Thanks, Tony
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    I know what you mean about using computer. I could no longer tolerate sitting to use desk top, then I had lap top, which eventually felt too heavy for me, so I couldn't use.
    Then went to netbook and eventually that too heavy.

Right now I use iPad. So far it is perfect. It so nice and light. Thankfully my sister had to update hers for work, so she gave me her old I pad. I am on my back much of day, so this is easiest for me to use.

But I do not need it for any kind of employment. You may need something more substantial. So, just a thought. :)
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • I know the experience of lying on my back, trying to type on a laptop balanced on my chest. It's for the birds. I've tried a standup desk, too, that didn't work out well for me. In the end, I found a free computer program that reminds me to get up and walk every hour or so.

I've done a few things to make my sitting workspace more ergonomic. I have a stand that raises my laptop closer to eye level. My thoracic has been beating me up lately, so I borrowed a roll of yarn from my wife to use as a sort of "thoracic" (as opposed to lumbar) support for my back. I borrowed another one from her this morning to use in the car. I would say her stock is dwindling, but she has several. She's the queen of making cute crocheted baby hats.
  • Hi-I just wrote a post to introduce myself, but can't seem to get it ya posted! So I'm going to add it here, and hopefully someone can guide me along! Thanks
    Hello everyone. On December 10th, I fell hard on my floor. I got up and went to bed , but upon awakening my fists were clenched and I couldn't open them, my hands were numb, my feet were numb, and I was shaking uncontrollably. I weren't to the local ER , and was. Told to go home and lie down, and that I'd be better in a few days. I was not, and called my pcp and insisted on an MRI. I found out that I have severe stenosis, and the fall bruised my spinal cord, but with the stenosis it has been pressing against the column without fluid around the c3-5. I started pt right away and have slowly improved to where I can w alk, gingerly, use my hands, even though they are still numb, and my feet are still numb. I have some limited loss of sexual feeling, and my bowels don't work quite the same, but I've never been incontinent, and I don't feel hunger!But I must say that the numbness is a lot better than a t. The BEGINING. My pt. Guy thinks I've done fantastically. I've seen three neurosurgeons, and choose one I trust. I'm havering triple aanterial fusion on June 16th. He thinks I'm a great candidate. I'm almost 60, and in good health except I've been a smoker all my life. I've pretty much quit for that last two weeks, and intend to stay that way as I know the fusion will absolutely not work if I smoke. I'm wondering if anyone here had these symptoms-the numbness and other loss of proper functions, and did they return to normal after the surgery? Thanks, kht
    Kathy trodden
  • I used to balance my laptop on my stomach with my knee bent for support before surgery but its too heavy post surgery.

I was given a laptop 'tray' which is hard plastic crescent shaped top with a cushion underneath filled with something similar to bean bag stuffing which allows it too be moved and placed at different angles. I use mine placed on the bed beside me and typed with one hand . . very frustrating for a fast touch typist but better than nothing.

It came from IKEA, says it was made in poland and has a label saying BRADA

Maybe it could be place on another tray to allow movement to change the angle of the keyboard?

Hope that helps Tony
    AJ
    AJGormit

L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
  • I used to balance my laptop on my stomach with my knee bent for support before surgery but its too heavy post surgery.

I was given a laptop 'tray' which is hard plastic crescent shaped top with a cushion underneath filled with something similar to bean bag stuffing which allows it too be moved and placed at different angles. I use mine placed on the bed beside me and typed with one hand . . very frustrating for a fast touch typist but better than nothing.

Maybe it could be place on another tray to allow movement to change the angle of the keyboard?

Hope that helps Tony
    AJ
    AJGormit

• AJGormitAAJGormit Posts: 941
    edited 06/03/2015 - 7:31 AM
    I used to balance my laptop on my stomach with my knee bent for support before surgery but its too heavy post surgery.

Hope that helps Tony
    AJ
    AJGormit

advertisement