Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ACDF was a success!

I spent 2 1/2 days in the hospital due to low blood pressure and a low grade fever. I was also in a tremendous amount of pain in addition to a terrible migraine. Release day They gave me 2 doses of steroids through my IV and within the hour the migraine was gone as well as 90% of the neck pain I was having! I do still have significant soreness in the back of my neck but hoping that is surgical soreness that will subside over time. Oh, and my incision is not on the prominent crease of my neck, but at the base of my neck and it's about 3 inches long. They said I'm in the minority to have been cut so low. My throat also gets better everyday. It feels weird when I swallow like a golf ball is traveling down vs a drink of water. But that's not every time. It is definitely better than I thought it would be.
All in all I am glad to have it behind me and I am anxious to see what I will be left with once the surgical soreness is gone.
Thanks for all of the thoughts, well wishes and prayers. It means a lot <3
ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
...and it was the best decision of my life :-)
advertisement

Comments

• Hi, so glad the surgery is over and you are at home resting. I was in the hospital for a few extra hours because of high blood pressure and fast heart rate. Glad the throat thingy is better than you expected, I remember you were concerned about it. Soreness in neck will get better and better, keep up with the meds!!

Incision will be much better in a few months, don't worry about it. My arm strength is slowly (very) coming back around the 4th week post op so be patient with recovery and don't over do it. To me and a few others, the weeks and month of recovery is almost harder than the surgery itself, I was not ready for it.

Again, very happy for you that the surgery is over and you're on the road to recovery.

Kenny
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Very good to share in success stories!
    So happy for you.
    Best of luck to you during your recovery!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • I was wondering how you made out. I'm glad to hear that you're recovering well. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I'm still recovering from my 2 level ACDF that was done in December. Expect to have some shoulder and base of neck discomfort and occasional spasming. I use a lot of ice packs and TENS therapy. Good luck in your recovery.

Rich
    2 level ACDF Surgery
  • I have so been looking forward to hearing from you and so happy it is good news. Yay! What a trooper you are. I have dreaded and feared my surgery and am more and more looking forward to relief of symptoms because of you guys. Denise you are going to continue to do great! Please keep us posted.

Love,
    Ivy
  • The neck soreness is from your neck muscles being stretched because the device they put in between the vertebrae is a little taller than the actual disc so the muscles have to stretch to accommodate it. It slowly decreases day by day. Hot packs help a lot as well as muscle relaxers.
    I'm so happy to hear that it is better than you expected. I think for all of us because it's "spine" surgery we put a lot more fear into it than any other surgery. But in all reality it is really doable and a lot less horrible than we all expected. I hope you continue to feel well every day and will continue to keep you in our thoughts. Now be a good girl and don't lift anything above 8 lbs. hugs to you Denise!
    Adela
  • advertisement
  • I'm happy for you Denise! Way to go. Each day will get better.
  • Each day truly does get better. I'm wearing my soft collar anytime I'm up and around. My kids have adjusted quite well, I actually think they're a little scared and unsure about what's going on. I haven't tried to look left and right but tilting my head towards the back hurts pretty bad. All in all I am glad I had it done and I feel excited for life after recovery <3
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • kathyykkathyy Posts: 585
    edited 05/27/2015 - 8:31 AM
    So happy to hear a success story and yours is terrific. Keep us all posted please. Best wishes. Kathy
  • Still no major complaints ☺ sometimes I have no pain at all and other times I have little aches and pains but the pain I had before surgery is gone. I am still taking my muscle relaxer faithfully every 6 hours and I'm currently tapering down on the pain meds they prescribed me. I have been sleeping the whole night through which is new and refreshing. Sometimes I get discouraged cause I'll go from no pain to pain again but I try to remind my self that it has only been a week and a day. Being impatient for total relief doesn't make sense and I know that. I'm just anxious to have more good days than bad and I know that will take time.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • I was feeling great like you, tampering off the pain pills when suddenly I tripped over a hose in my back yard and jostled myself. It flared up the surgical pain so bad. Then few days later my incision reopened which further flared things up. Here I am 4 weeks post op and trying to taper off pain meds.
    As you will discover this recovery is a roller coaster. With no rhyme or reason, you will go from totally pain free days to all of a sudden being in pain again. This recovery is more of a mind game than anything else.
    I'm so happy you are doing great. I know you had a a lot of reservations about moving forward with the surgery.
    I wish you continued speedy healing.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.