Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

4 Level Cervical Fusion Pending...and more



  • Good morning :) Met with my new neurosurgeon again this morning, I really like his office staff, his office, and HIM. We reviewed how physical therapy has been for me the last couple of weeks, and also the effects of Lyrica. I'm not having positive effects from therapy, I hurt more afterwards. The Lyrica hasn't seemed to provide a positive benefit, either, though I've had several of the typical side effects. After discussing everything, the decision has been made to move forward with surgery. Doc will be doing at least a three level cervical fusion (C4-5, 5-6, 6-7) and may well do C3-4 as well (lots of bone spurs throughout the cervical spine). He retained my MRI's and will be further reviewing to finalize the plan. I'll see him again before surgery, currently tentatively planned for October 26. He said he normally uses donor bone for the graft between the levels, but didn't go into detail about hardware. He said he normally has his patients in a hard collar for three weeks with very limited activity, then soft collar for three weeks but of course that all depends on how I'm doing. There will be at least one overnight in the hospital. Doc said because my case is very clearly degenerative, there's really no point in trying the epidural injections or prolonging the waiting. No point in allowing further nerve impairment and risk greater decrease in functionality - I heartily agree with him. This, of course, will not address the whole lumbar issue I'm having, but is definitely a step in the right direction.

  • I have bone spurs and disc herniation and bulges from c3 to c6. The numbness I can deal with, even the weaker right arm and numb/weak shoulder. But my god the pain, the stabbing and burning in my neck has literally driven me to the point where I had aa few moments of seriously considering suicide.

    It drives my blood pressure to the roof, twice now I have had bleeding from my eyes. And the pain moves right into this headache where every little extra sensation makes me gag and throw up.

    Since sending me home from the job site I was at out of state, it has taken them a month to get me back to a doctor. I have one more week of suffering to survive before I see a doc, and even then getting doctors to give something strong enough to take the edge off might not happen.

    This hits me simply if I stay standing up or just upright for more than 3 hours without laying down. They say the surgery for my neck pain is 50/50. But I simply can't keep enduring these episodes its happening at least three times a week, not to mention my pain levels on a good day even are at a constant 9.

    I have had sinus surgery, broken ribs, kidney stones, and a broken foot and none of that slowed me down. This nerve pain, this is just cruel and brutal.
  • advertisement
  • dhcracker, my doc said today most of his patients wake from surgery with the numbness and pain GONE. The muscle weakness will take a little while, the nerves need to "relearn" how to fire all the right muscles again. BUT, he said the surgery is way less painful than the bilateral knee replacements I had done last year. I totally agree - the nerve pain, burning, stabbing, throbbing is the worst. I, too, have suffered from migraines for MONTHS with this, simply cannot wait to have the surgery and be on the recovery side. I totally sympathize with the delay getting in, hang in there, you'll find relief soon I'm sure.
  • OMG, I can hardly think right now! I just received notice I've been approved for Social Security Disability the FIRST time around!! No appeal needed, no other evaluations. They deemed my date of disability to be the same date I was put off work from docs, seems reasonable for me! I'll receive my first payment the month following the month my STD from work runs out. What a relief and blessing, I actually cried when I read the letter.
Sign In or Register to comment.