Hey everyone, 22 year old male here. Long story short, a couple years ago I passed out and took a fall and hit the back of my head. No concussion symptoms, but after a week I began having a myriad of symptoms including headache, stiff neck, muscle spasms, vision issues, etc etc..
Decided to go to the hospital, they took an MRI of my brain (not neck) and chalked it up to post concussion syndrome and told me to go home and wait 6 months.
Well here I am 2 years later and I am a fraction of the person I used to be. I have managed to have a few visits since then, but was without insurance for a while so couldn't get anything done. I really need help getting my life back on track. Nobody takes me serious. My parents think I'm overreacting and being a hypochondriac, but I promise this isn't all in my head.
Here are my symptoms, can anybody point me to possibilities of what this might be?
- First off, with every single movement of my neck (side to side rotation, forward, backward, nodding, etc) I have grinding and popping and crunching sounds. Right under the skull, by the base.
- VISION TROUBLE....I don't see life like I used to...I can't even explain the problem. It's like a mixture of blurry vision, flashes of light, black spots in vision, and just general unfocused vision. I miss how life used to look
- Sore/stiff neck, very painful to even turn it or nod or do anything really
-Dizziness, feeling like I am about to faint when I get up from a lying position or even sitting position
- Loss of balance when walking, I'll tip over to the side
- Crunching and popping in shoulders (this wasn't there at first, slowly began getting worse and worse)
-Difficulty taking deep breaths
-Ear fullness, always pressure in ears, ALWAYS. Even something simple as swallowing my saliva will cause muffling sounds in my ears
-Tingling in fingers and pain radiating to arms
My quality of life is gone. I can't concentrate, I can't do anything. I used to be full of life, going out with friends, exercising, etc....now I ignore phone calls, and generally feel no joy from anything because I'm constantly worried about my neck and if I will ever perceive life like I used to. I'll have convos with people but be thinking about my neck, everyone around me will have fun and laugh and I yearn to one day feel that again. But how can I?
How can I when my parents and everyone around me think I am making this up? My parents even accused me of being on drugs or something because I simply have no desire to join them for a nice night out for dinner or something How can I when I have been thinking abut my health EVERYDAY for the last two years. Literally has not been a day I haven't tried to look it up. And I am no hypochondriac, I am just somebody trying to figure out what can be going on
THey tell me I am overreacting because somebody my age can't have ALL of these symptoms,
My coworkers accuse me of lying. I'm sick and tired of it all. I want to enjoy life again. I'm sitting here crying as I type this...
somebody please help me. I'm way too young to be feeling like this.
I'm very very picky with docs because the couple docs I have seen just chalk it up to some bullshit anxiety or something, I AM NOT ANXIOUS! I am in PAIN, and I have a ton of neurological symptoms to go with it..
So my questions are
1) What can this be? Is it possible for all these symptoms to be connected?
2) What steps should I take? What doctor should I see? I''m tired of being brushed off by docs just because they don't know what's bothering me.
So far I've thought about Barre Lieou syndrome, arnold chiari, etc...but maybe I'm wrong...maybe it has to do with the upper cervical, maybe not. Maybe I'm just going crazy
I guess I just need somebody to talk to me, somebody who understands
Please help me, because I have nobody on this planet who wants to do that right now.
Much appreciated, thank you
Please remember that no one at Spine-Health is a formally trained medical professional.
Everything that is posted here is based on personal experiences and perhaps additional research.