Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Here we go again!

I'm a 32 year old Female and back in December of 2014 I had a Microdisectomy and a laminectomy (L4-L5).. I was doing ok until about 12 weeks after the surgery. My back started bothering me again so I went to another dr. (i left previous surgeon after he pushed a personal injury attorney on me numerous times) and they sent me for an MRI. They saw that my disks were herniated again (small herniations) and that I had an abnormally amount of scar tissue pushing on my nerve. They sent me for an epidural and i felt better! Not 100% but definitely about 50%. My pain doctor suggested I go for another epdiural to possibly push that 50% even higher. I did it and i was good for about a week and then everything got much worse. It's been about 2 weeks of my back and butt hurting and obviously nerve pain running down my leg and into my foot again. I went back to my doctor and he basically wants to repeat the surgery!! Wants to remove the scar tissue and a small piece of my bone that's left to access the disk and remove the part of the disk that pushing on the nerve. I'm so upset!! I do love and trust my new doctor but I do want to get a second opinion before i move forward. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

I'm anxious to hear other stories or suggestions!




  • I can sympathize, honestly these things can happen. I had a Micro-D and was just so-so for about 3 years. Always had back/leg pain and never felt like I was close to being 90-100% better. Did the round of epidurals and it only masked the problem, I think I caused more damage by masking the pain with the epidurals rather than taking care of the real issue. I ultimately had a fusion done, but I may have waited too long and may have nerve damage. Best advice I can give you is to not wait too long, nerve pain is awful and hopefully it doesn't turn into weakness. If you feel any weakness you should get in sooner than later to relieve the pressure off the nerve. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I wanna state first off I'm not dr lol. I gotta say I really hate when Dr's push thing like the steroid injections and the like. They are a great way to find out what lvls are bothering you but I was told they can leak down so may give you some false relief. My last second Nero that I saw pushed the injection over and over he would say we'll we will try this injection and then if it helps we will know and I can fix it but every time I'd get a week or so or some relief then start hurting again. Then my dr would turn around and say insurance won't let do surgery until I do another injection and thus went on and on draining out bank account because our out of pocket went sky high this past yr. When I injured my back the first time they told me 4 injections in a yr was about the max because the steroids could cause more harm then good bUT last yr into this yr I've had about 10. My suggestion is if you aren't sure see another doctor or 2 or 3 more and wieght what all of them have to say. As stated above just don't wait to long otherwise there could be nerve damage you may never fully recover from
  • advertisement
  • I ended up going for a second opinion and this doctor wants to do a fusion! He said my disk is degenerated and I ultimately will need one ( i think the height was 3 and it's supposed to be 11). He also said the scar tissue is wrapped around the nerve so he would disconnect the tissue from the disk when he does the fusion. I obviously dont want to do a fusion because that's a lot more involved and i was told that after a fusion the disk above and disk below start to go and then you have to get everything fused together. I'm going for a third opinion and then will try to make a decision as soon as possible. For me the nerve pain is a lot worse during the week because im sitting at work and on the weekend im laying down more so it's not as bad. On the weekend i say to myself " why am i rushing this" but during the week it hurts and im so scared that the nerve pain will turn into permanent damage. Surgery is the only way to get rid of the nerve pain, right? I had nerve pain before my first surgery and it's been 7 months and my foot is still not the same. I still have a slight case of drop foot and Ill have these feelings that a bug is crawling on me and I look down and obviously nothing is there. I only had the nerve pain for a short amount of time before they operated so Im afraid that the longer i wait, the longer itll take to heal. So we'll see what the the next guy says but i cant help but be frustrated because I feel like Ill be dealing with my back issues for the rest of my life.. I dont think there's any solution out there that will make this all better and Ill be one of those people on this site that have had numerous back surgeries and are still in pain.
Sign In or Register to comment.