Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

12 months post TLIF L5S1

Comments

• Thanks owie for your advice, just frustrated that the preop muscle tension at the lower back is still there after 4 months.

just too impatient.
  • I am am month out from a 3 level 360 degree lumbar fusion (S-I-L-4-5).
     Pus I was the lucky recipient of 2 NEW artificial discs. No more rods, or screws which makes recovery not so bad. I was cut front and back, but the staples have been removed. The L-4-5 nerve to my left leg was actually "frayed" and it had to be mended and then wrapped to salvage it.
    My left foot went dead 4 times  in the first week, but its all part of the healing and the nerve will grow "an inch a month."
    I ended up having the worst side effects from Lyrica, so I am waiting to see if there is anything else, that is like it. I have a call into the neurosurgeons medication refill line. 
    The nerve from the front incision down my leg is angry as I do my daily walking.
    I also developed scoliosis and they said I had the worst spurring they had ever seen. 
    They got me in pronto once they saw all that going on plus nucleous pulpous leaking into my spinal canal!

I have zero back pain which is huge.
    I am glad I waited even though the nerve is so damaged. Everyone that has the rods and screws all seem to end up having it all repaired at some point.
    The neurosurgeon was on the news for inventing this new artificial disc. I was in the best hands.
    They said it will take a year for everything to "settle down". I am also wearing that stimulator belt (4) hours a day.
    Staying positive even though my left leg  and foot, are trying to pull me to the negative side.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight"~ Corinthians
  • advertisement
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Hey Rootsprincess...

So with your artifical disc will you lumbar bones actually fuse... or is the artifical disc a permanent replacement for your old disc?

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • yea i am confused too... is it artificial disc or fusion?
advertisement