Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Advice regarding cervical epidural wanted!!

Hi, I'm 36 and for over three years I have been suffering with 4 prolapsed discs in my neck. They are impinging on nerves and compressing my spinal cord but in the UK unless you're incontinent and/or paralysed a surgeon won't touch you....I'm still waiting for a neurosurgeon appointment. Should be seeing one in next 6 weeks.
Anyway in the meantime I've been scheduled to have a cervical epidural on Friday and I am worried about it. I have read too many negative reports I think but my question is....is it worth doing? Is it worth the risk for at best a 50/50 chance of any relief at all?
Has anybody had one and if so how was it? Did it help you? Would you do it again?
Thank you
Kirsti
Kirsti x
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    edited 09/07/2015 - 2:28 PM
    I have commented on some of your other posts.
    I am so a BIG PLUS for having the cervical ESI. It can only help you. It may not be the cure all, but if it can buy you some time with pain relief, that along with reduced inflammation, the discs can start some of their own healing.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I just got my first shot today. I asked to be sedated and I did not feel a single thing! Since it hasn't even been a day yet for me, I can't share the effects of it. But I can say, my pain was at a minimal today. I only had numbing and tingling. This has been the most relief I've ever felt! I can only hope that it continues this way. Wishing you the best!
  • advertisement

• I opted to not get mine done because between my orthopedic doctor and myself, we decided it was not worth the risk for a shot at 50-50 relief. It is something only you, with the help of your doctor, can decide. It didn't feel right to me so I went with my gut, and didn't do it. In my research, it really is a 50/50 deal. Some people get great relief and others don't get any at all, some get worse. Is it worth it for a bandaid? Do your research, talk to your doctor about the risks and then decide.

What I found interesting, was that I interviewed the anesthesiologist who was supposed to do my epidural. We talked for a good 30 mins and then he tells me, he too has a pinched nerve in his neck. But it only bothers him when he looks down or up, "great" I though, doesn't he need to be looking down to do this! So then I asked him, "if you have a bulged disc and it's causing you pain and other issues, have you gotten an epidural?" To which he replied "no" so then I asked him "why haven't you gotten one?"
    All that came next was silence and crickets chirping. That is when I decided I would not do it. If the guy doing them isn't willing to have it done to him, then that doesn't sit right with me.
  • Really appreciate your advice, I am going to go ahead tho I do have some reservations. I just need some pain relief.
    Finally got my neurosurgeon appointment - next Wednesday morning!!!! Just hoping he can help. Sleep well :)
    Kirsti x
    Kirsti x
  • Kirstik79,
    If you are saying in the UK you are not a candidate for surgery, I guess you don't have much choice if you want pain relief.

Let us know how it went. My husband had one many years ago and it helped for a while. Then he went back for a 2nd one and that seemed to give him a lot more relief.

C4-C5 ACDF surgery with plating August 28.
    cord compression due to disc-osteophyte complex
  • advertisement
  • Well I had my cervical epidural yesterday. I fasted, went in at 2:15 and just as my consultant is about to start I said "errr aren't I being sedated??" & he replied "no, I need you sitting up & talking, I need to know how you're pain is throughout"
    Cue the heart monitor beeping a little faster!!
    It was weird because as he is injecting the steroid, all my pain points started burning (quite badly, took my breath away) but I know he hit the spot!!
    This morning I have a crackalacking headache, the muscles in my shoulders are very stiff But.....
    No nerve pain!!!!!!!!!
    please let it last!!
    Have a great weekend everyone :)
    Kirsti x
  • Kirstij79 said:
    Well I had my cervical epidural yesterday. I fasted, went in at 2:15 and just as my consultant is about to start I said "errr aren't I being sedated??" & he replied "no, I need you sitting up & talking, I need to know how you're pain is throughout"
    Cue the heart monitor beeping a little faster!!
    It was weird because as he is injecting the steroid, all my pain points started burning (quite badly, took my breath away) but I know he hit the spot!!
    This morning I have a crackalacking headache, the muscles in my shoulders are very stiff But.....
    No nerve pain!!!!!!!!!
    please let it last!!
    Have a great weekend everyone :)
    So you still have the muscle tightness? After my nerve block injection yesterday buy muscles became extremely tight, and it was uncomfortable to turn my head back and forth!
advertisement