Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

November 2015 Surgery Buddies

HelenaKHHelenaK Posts: 8
edited 09/20/2015 - 7:31 AM in Surgery Buddies
Is anyone else yet planning on having surgery in November 2015? I have not found another thread yet. Maybe I am fortunate to have time to plan ahead. I will be having a L5/S1 fusion. I am going back to speak with my surgeon on October 2nd and I have a list of questions. First one being what type of surgery will I have. The first appointment I had was kind of a shock, finding out I need surgery. I knew I had pain but no idea how bad the damage was. I've read lots of positive posts about recovery, and some negatives too. The positive stories give me hope.

Please click on link for helpful information
Welcome to Spine-Health
Liz -Spine-health Moderator
Helena
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there! I too am having an l5s1 fusion, only mine is happening in October! Did you have a discogram? Also did you discuss the option of having a disc replacement?
    Nomes89
  • Having l5/s1 in October. Please join us on October surgery buddies thread until November buddies join you. Wishing you healing.
    Happy
  • advertisement
  • In Early November I hope. I've been dickering around with this for one year now, and in the last 2 weeks deteriorated so much that I am not able to walk much any more. Really looking forward to it. After 5 Neuro consults I finally found a surgeon I'm almost comfortable with.
  • Hi! I am so happy to have a buddy. Thank you for joining......but I am sorry you have to have surgery.

I went to the surgeon yesterday for a Q&A because this is the first time I have ever had any kind of surgery. I feel very lucky with the neurosurgeon I was referred to. Confirmed L5/S1 fusion, ALIF, second week in November. I hope to know the actual date in the next week or so pending insurance approval and surgeon schedule. I feel a little relived to actually have a direction and some details on what will happen to me. I'm still very scared. There is so much to do to prep for surgery. I am fortunate to have a great support system with family and friends.
    Helena
  • RunnerHKTRRunnerHKT Posts: 230
    edited 10/04/2015 - 3:39 AM
    I don't go back to the surgeon until October 20, but he called me the other day to start putting me on the schedule as my MRI looks worse than in the past. My biggest issue is that I am the Infection prevention nurse for the Neurosurgical line at my hospital so I see all the problems that can occur so I am probably more alarmed than I need to do, since they ALL know me and will do everything 100% perfect since they will have to see me again and again and again no matter what! But I'm still trying to control everything, like who the other surgeon will be, which case time I get, it's nuts. I started the shopping today getting ready for surgery. i had a discectomy in February that actually went pretty well, but this seems bigger! There is a lot to do and silly things that keep popping into my head, like...putting those non slip stickers into the shower!!! I'm definitely ready for it to be OVER.
  • advertisement
  • My 12-year-old daughter is having a spinal fusion 4 Nov 2015 to correct her scoliosis. I just joined the forum for her to have a surgery buddy; lots of good information on the forum as well. I pray everyone’s surgery goes well.
    The Little Lady
  • Oh Little Lady, I think my surgery is going to be the same exact date! I would be happy to be her buddy...I myself am starting to get a bit nervous, but also really impatient, since I am having a significant amount of pain and weakness...I can't wait to see how I'll be after surgery! Let me know if there would be an address where maybe I can send her some get well post cards.
  • Hey, looking for a November surgery buddy! I've been reading these forums for approximately 2 years. I finally committed to having my surgery November 5th. I am scared and anxious to say the least. I have gotten a lot of great information here. I have been trying to absorb it all but it is like they say. No two surgeries, no two people's outcomes will ever be identical. I am having L4-5 decompression with L5-S1 fusion.
    Nancy
    "Coming in November 2015"
    L3-4-5 decompression & L5-S1 fusion
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Momto3MMomto3 Posts: 3
    edited 10/10/2015 - 5:10 PM
    I have a surgery date of 11/3. I am getting C4/5 &C5/6 fused. I see most of you are lower backs. Any other cervical? :-)
    I have had pain since 2/14. I am ready to have this done, but getting very nervous for the surgery and recovery.

Please look at all the forums. There are so many patients with cervical problems/surgeries. Just use the search facility and type in Cervical, you will find scores of pages both articles, and threads

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator
advertisement