Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

October surgery buddies?

Nomes89NNomes89 Posts: 5
edited 09/21/2015 - 8:27 PM in Surgery Buddies
I'm 26 and having an ALIF October 13th. Anyone else?
Nomes89
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 8,363
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Savage

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

awalsh

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I'm having PLIF October 21. I'm so grateful you started this thread! I've been a long time stalker of these forums, have used for different times/surgeries. I've come back this time in hopes of sharing my journey with others, give and receive support.

This will be my third fusion. I had congenital defect in spine that worsened with wear. Had first surgery 2004, L4/5. Doctor said I would need another in ten years for L3/4. He was right. Had second in 2014. I swore that would be my last and happily healed and had wonderful relief from both surgeries.

I feel confident about the third one, it is below the original and hope this is the last one! My second opinion last time told me to do it at same time..I didn't listen because he couldn't get me in operating room for months as opposed to current doctor. Grrrr, should have listened.

I'm a mother, homemaker, 42 year old, celebrating 20 years of marriage this year to wonderful and supportive husband. I'm bed bound mostly now, and trying to deal with that. I'm hoping to have good outcome of surgery to restore mobility as I love boating and long walks. I'm fortunate to have supportive family and friends, good insurance. I'm sad about how I feel of, "missing out on life," but smart enough to know I'm lucky.

Again, thanks for starting our group off and I look forward to hearing your story and sharing our healing journey.
    Happy
  • advertisement
  • I'm having ACDF C5-7 on October 22.

I'm 41 and an elementary school teacher, but currently being a stay at home mom for my 4 year old son. He loves to jump, climb, and play, especially on/with me, so I'm worried how he'll react post surgery. I'm not looking forward to all the restrictions.
    ACDF c5-7 scheduled October 22, 2015
  • I am 42 and scheduled to have acdf at c7-t1 on October 21 2015. This is my second one. I had very successful fusion at c6-c7 on January 23 2002. Here's to all of us having successful procedures and pleasant recoveries.
  • Glad to be on the journey with you guys.

Wanting to ask a question, but I think I know the answer: my pain management dr wants to do one last spinal injection on the 5th, to give me a few days of relief while waiting for fusion on the 21st. It is more than two weeks before surgery, so I think it will not interfere with fusion, and it was pain management dr idea knowing when my surgery date is. I just don't want anything to mess up with having the fusion. I think the answer is to check with neurosurgeon doing the fusion to be sure. Anyone else have insight on this?
    Happy
  • advertisement
  • I think your thinking correct by asking you NS. I was unable to get any injections since my problem area is to narrow due to the disk and bone spurs.
  • TL67TTL67 Posts: 3
    edited 09/22/2015 - 9:21 PM
    Hey

I'm 25 and having TLIF on October 5th! Less than two weeks away!!!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • Hi, I'm being scheduled for 3, possible 4 level ACDF on October 26 (going through insurance approval now). I'll be getting fused from C4 - C7. Doc may add C3, it looks bad as well, but he's studying the MRI more. I'll be seeing him again prior to surgery so we'll finalize the plan at that time. He's already said he'll be using cadaver bone grafts, I'll be in a hard collar minimum 3 weeks, and soft collar minimum 3 weeks. I don't know what type of hardware will be used, though. I had bilateral knee replacement done in January 2014, doc said this will be WAY less painful than that, thank goodness.

I cannot wait to be on the recovery side rather than on THIS side of things, whew!
  • Hi everyone, I introduced myself above, but scheduled for L5/S1 fusion and possible removal of L3/5 hardware. He ordered another ct scan to be sure about removal because my pedical screw on right hand side at L5 goes into the anterior space and is inseparable from iliac arterie and vein.

So just now the office called and let me know the doctor looked at new scan and would like me to come see him Tuesday discuss. Lovely nurse, and I mean that, she is: could not give me any other info except that as of now fusion date stands.

Oh my fellow spineys...you can imagine the million different thoughts I'm goin thru right now. And there is no way to know until Tuesday what he wants to discuss. I just wanted to write about it here and I will let you know the decision that is made next week. I just know you all can relate to me right now..if the same thing happened to you. I appreciate this group because I know we will face challenges with our surgeries, but we will get thru together.

Thanks for listening.
    Happy
  • Hi everyone!

I'm 32 and having a level 3 ALIF/PLIF of L2-S1 on October 5th. My original date for the surgery was October 21st. I received the call this morning that things were pushed up. Nerves are kicking in! So, what do I need to pack for the hospital?
advertisement