Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

    Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Would you go to A&E?

hi all,

I had an L4-5 fusion in February this year. Had a few ups and downs but recovered by end of July.

In mid August I started getting back pain, sciatica and pins & needles in both feet. I had upright X-rays done on 4th September, neutral and flexed. Ortho looked at l1-2 and l5-s1 but said they didn't cause concern.

Being untrusting of doctors over what happened to me last year, I ordered a copy of my X-rays.

On Tuesday, the pain was getting so bad I went to my GP for mild opiate painkillers to help with the pain.

Today, I picked up the X-rays and looked at l1-2 and l5-s1, observing nothing of concern, concluding the Ortho was right.

However.......

Whilst I was adjusting the contrast and taking measurements, I noticed on the neutral image what appears to be a fracture at the rear of the L4 vertebra. This appears to have created a wedge shaped piece of bone that has moved backwards by about 1mm. Looking at the flex image, the wedge appears to move a further 1.5 mm backwards, closing the space in the foramen.

So I phoned my GP with my concerns and she said to get myself to A&E as the wedge may be unstable and therefore dangerous as it could move further and cut or compress things.

I am reluctant to go as my local A&E and I don't get on as they didn't help me when my disc blew this time last year.

The other thing to consider is that they probably would just admit me and then not get me seen by an Ortho until Monday.

So my question is... Would you go to A&E now or wait until Monday.

Steve
L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
advertisement

Comments

  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168
    what A&E is...
    Never heard of this
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,620
    edited 09/25/2015 - 3:58 AM
    A&E means Accident and Emergency you know it as ER

    Liz, Spine-health Moderator

    Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
  • FritzcrackerzFFritzcrackerz Posts: 247
    edited 09/28/2015 - 3:39 AM
    Arrived at A&E at 7 pm. They made me wait until 10 pm to be seen by a junior doctor who started off by saying that an orthopaedic surgeon had reviewed the X-rays and could see no problem and said I should go home with some cocodamol. Ring the nhs help line if it gets worse. I elected to stay and remind him of my recent medical history. He asked the orthopaedic surgeon to come and see me.
    Ortho examines me and, after assessing the possibility of CES, she sends me to a neuro hospital for an urgent MRI. I reminded them that my symptoms are caused when I stand or sit and that a supine non-load bearing MRI will not show the problem.

    They transfer me, don't listen, do the supine MRI and declare that there is no sign of compression. [edit] I'm now back at the original hospital, with back pain and a numb foot, where they think I am going to be dealt with my the chronic pain team and a physiotherapist.

    Good luck with that. I need an upright MRI.

    To be continued...
    L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
Sign In or Register to comment.