Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How many hours was your surgery?

advertisement

Comments

• well...my first surgery L5-S1 microd / laminectomy was 2 hours long. In May I had a anterior/posterior fusion with plates, rods, screws and stabilization...that took a little over 6 hours. Same surgeon.
  • I think you could call the hospital and ask how long the doctor has blocked off for your case. This would give you an idea of what he is expecting, but there are always variations from the schedule. Could go quicker, could take longer.

With my first 3 level ACDF I was in hte OR less than 2 hours. My most recent c-spine surgery was over 5 hours. It all depends on what the doc finds when he gets inside.

Good luck Monday.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • advertisement
  • Mine was 8 hours for a 2 level fusion S1-L4. Bad for my husband but for me it seemed like a just a few seconds.
  • I was suppose to have my 360 fusion (back then front) all at once but because I lost so much blood, they waited 10 days before doing the posterior fusion. Each surgery ran 6 to 7 hours.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • I had a 360 fusion L4 L5 S1 with hardware, was suppose tobe 4 hrs ended up being 71/2 hrs had to get extra hardware (not expected) called a bridge
    to hold the cage in place there was no disc to help hold it in place, so they had to get the bridge piece and then they have to register it by the serial # on the piece, they do that so if it breaks they no which piece it was and where it come from.. I know that the waiting fotr hbby was far worse then the sleeping for me....
  • advertisement
  • PLIF, at L-3,4,5 with 2 6" titanium rods and 6 screws, and a stabilization thing in the middle. He took the pointy tip parts from the upper vertebrea (don't know what their called) cut a few of those, and made my fusion out of them, instead of my hip....It took 4 hours. AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!! Wait until you wake up!!!!! I'll never forget!!! The moraphine pump didn't touch the pain!!!
  • I seem to be in the minority here. I had a 2 level ALIF L4/5 L5/S1 and it took 2 hours. I am a very small person (under 5 feet, 100 pounds) not sure if this helped with quick access. My surgeon said everthing went great. I have 2 bone grafts (cadaver) with 2 plates and 4 screws holding everything in place. I did spend at least an extra hour in recovery to get my pain under control along with BP and respirations that were really low.

As far as the blood donation. I too had read that donation was recommended for ALIF but when I talked to my surgeon he said it would not be necessary he rarely used it. Needless to say I woke up to blood hanging and freaked out! They told me it was my own that was recaptured and given back to me. I did have problems post op with anemia but I didnt lose that much blood. I was not in good shape when I went in as far as not having much appetite, not eating much, weight loss and maybe was iron deficient when I went in.

Good luck with your surgery!
  • ...for a 1 level L5-S1 360 fusion
  • Saltz,
    Have to agree with Bruce, it depends on what the surgeon finds once they are inside. My first ACDF was to take 3 hours, ended up being 5. The second surgery was 10 hours, they had to remove hardware , do another 2 level ACDF, then turned me over a did a laminectomy from c5 to c7. I also think all surgeons work at there own pace. Good Luck and before you know it you will be getting better!
    mark
  • I'm having a 2 level anterior (with hardware) and my surgeon says it will take about 1-2 hours....and that I will go home the next day. Is he blowing sunshine up my you know what???
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.