Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anyone w Broken Screws Cervical ACDF?

Comments

• scrwd444sscrwd444 Posts: 2
    edited 01/08/2015 - 10:07 PM
    I do have a QUESTION first--I beleive I have broken fusion at C6-7...an idiot pain doctor tiwsted my neck..for 2 mos I have had erratic HIGH blood pressue and then LOW blood pressure and High Pulse pressure (NOT cardiac they tell me) issue AND more importantly--the neck pain is significant with numbness in my fingers and hands... I have had a CT and MRI and it shows PARTIAL fusion at C56-7 when it was FUSED in previous MRis ? he broke the fiusion? is that actually POSSIBLE> with a chiropractice neck twist?

I have had THREE cervical neck surgeries including complete spinal reconstuction with full metal plates rods and screws. Who did your surgery..I probably know him. I have seen 30 neurosurgeons and spoken to countless. First--a broken screw is NOT uncommon. I have seen it a number of times. 2)I got ALUMINUM and NICKEL poisoning from the so called TITANIUM cercvical screw implants..YES--I have 22X Normal Aluminum..the surgeon himself said "get tested for metal toxicity". In otder to PROVE it is the metal implants a SAMPLE is needed (good luck withthat). I also developed a severe autonomic disorder and breathing deficiency from the 8 hour fusion. A pain doctot manipulated my NECK under great protest and a new MRI of muy neck shows only a PARTIAL fusion at C6- 7..I beleive he broke the complete fusion... My neck now drops without warning in pain...the neurosurgeon didnt put in my reports NOT to ever manipulate (Although onlya MORON doctyor would twist the neck of someone with a full load of implanted metal and NO he didnt warn me....

As to your broken screws---The TRUTH is..I have LOOSE screws. An neurologist told me "wait till the screws come loose" he was right..he has seen this MANY times...Did your surgeon EWARN you of loosening scvrews or the possibilityof the screws breaking? They BREAK if you LIFT anything over 2 liters...(Not often) but it can happen. It can happen is MOTION--a traffic stop (your hwad jerks back)... it can happen if you do any weight lifting..MANY causes. Unless you wear a cvercical collar most of the time and never carry anything...this is a LIKELY outcome.. I have MORE metal in my neck than you..and it HURTS every day...I dont have a lawyer (YET) for metal poisoning and for the jerk who just UNFUSED a 7 year surgery (the twist was 2 months go.I have lots of time to sue xxxx ..but I may need to hage C6-7 REFUSED and there is a POUND of metal in my neck.getting to that area may be IMPOSSIBLE..so.. now what? I am sorry tyhe screws broke but your surgeon should have EXPECTED this..is he very experienced?
  • I too had screws break on a cervical fusion. I thought it was supposed to be rare?
    7/11- ACDF C6-C7
    9/12 - posterior foraminotomy & fusion (revision) C4-C7
    8/21/13 360 cervical revision ACDF C6 and posterior instrumentation removal
    9/26/14 SCS trial
    12/21/14 permanent cervical SCS implanted battery on right upper buttock
  • advertisement
  • I feel for all of you going through such pain. Did something major happen like an accident or a fall to cause the screws to break or come loose. I remember my doc going through all of the possible side effects and he did mention that it happens, but rarely. I hope it really is rare.... Im sorry for all of you that are in that rare group. My family goes through some odd medical issues that are pretty rare for the most part. With out luck, this is a definite possibility. But I am going to try not to buy trouble
    Tracie C
  • BrokenScrewsBBrokenScrews Posts: 1
    edited 08/17/2015 - 10:00 AM
    i'm almost at the end of my rope. my consulting surgeon told me 5 weeks ago that i would end up in a wheelchair if i didn't have cervical reconstructive surgery. when i returned to schedule the surgery, he changed his mind. nothing changed from previous visit. any ideas?

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • LkarrikerLLkarriker Posts: 2
    edited 08/12/2015 - 8:39 PM
    i have a c-3 to c-5 fusion and a c-5 to c-6 fusion. i was assaulted 1-08-2014 and after a year and a half, doctors have finally discovered my neck is broken, my 2 screws in my c-5 and c-6 fusion are now broken.
    i was given a hard collar today & scheduled for another mri on this friday. a surgery was explained to me the would be a posterior fusion from c-2 to t-1 inclusive plus dvt protein (?) , a plate and 4 more screws! help! what are your thoughts?!

nobody on the forum is medically qualified or permitted to give advice any responses will be based on members personal experiences only

please click on link for helpful information welcome to spine-health
    liz -spine-health moderator

• advertisement
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    How? who knows but one was busted in half and the other the head of the screw broke off
    Susan
  • lkarriker said:
    i have a c-3 to c-5 fusion and a c-5 to c-6 fusion. i was assaulted 1-08-2014 and after a year and a half, doctors have finally discovered my neck is broken, my 2 screws in my c-5 and c-6 fusion are now broken.
    i was given a hard collar today & scheduled for another mri on this friday. a surgery was explained to me the would be a posterior fusion from c-2 to t-1 inclusive plus dvt protein (?) , a plate and 4 more screws! help! what are your thoughts?!

nobody on the forum is medically qualified or permitted to give advice any responses will be based on members personal experiences only

please click on link for helpful information welcome to spine-health
    liz -spine-health moderator
    i'm very sorry to hear about your assault-
    i had the same surgery - posterior from c2- t1- don't want to scare you but it was a brutal surgery- had mine in 2011 & exactly one year later had an acdf in 2012- compared to the posterior surgery the acdf was a walk in the park-
  • please help- why did this happen? my bottom two screws broke in half inside the bone- in less than a year

had posterior c2-t1 decompression surgery with 6 screws & two rods- exactly one year later had acdf from c5-t1
    i am a 48 year old very active woman who just had poor genetics- no accident
    was told from my neurosurgeon that because of all the excess of bone growth my original injury happened when i was three or four years old and it took over 12 years for somebody to even take me seriously to look at my neck

i have been suffering tremendous agony for over 15 years now- every minute of everyday i am in pain

moderator's message...please click on link for helpful information
    welcome to spine-health

https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/pedicle-screws-spine-fusion
advertisement