Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How long did your throat stay swollen?

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op. As I was given no collar to wear, other than a throat that is still swollen and weakness in my upper arms, I feel so good I would not have known I had surgery at all. I can breathe just fine and eat just fine - although I have lost 6 pounds since surgery - but there is still a huge lump in my throat that I presume is swelling. I now know what people mean when they claim they can "feel" their plate and screws but I think (hope?) it is just swelling. I would very much appreciate hearing from others regarding when their swelling finally went away. I had a 3 level C4-7 acdf with titanium plates and screws and cadaver bone.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi.
    I am 13 months post-op. My throat pain was pretty severe the first day or two but quickly started to feel better. If my memory is accurate, which I think it is, my throat felt perfect after less than a week. I was surprised. (I had stocked up on jello and pudding and apple sauce but didn't really need it after a couple days.) But I only had a single-level ACDF so that might be the difference.
    Good luck. Hope you feel better.
    C5/6 herniation, type 2 diabetes, generalized anxiety disorder
  • lorijo3, I am almost 9 weeks post-op 2 level acdf (C4/5 and 5/6). I have had a very fast, trouble free recovery, and even started to eat solid food (hamburger fries) as my first meal after the operation. However, my throat still feels a bit tight (I need to take a sip of water with every bite). It continues to get better, but it is the last reminder that I had surgery.
  • advertisement
  • wem said:
    lorijo3, I am almost 9 weeks post-op 2 level acdf (C4/5 and 5/6). I have had a very fast, trouble free recovery, and even started to eat solid food (hamburger fries) as my first meal after the operation. However, my throat still feels a bit tight (I need to take a sip of water with every bite). It continues to get better, but it is the last reminder that I had surgery.
    Wem....is it only "tight" or do you also have a measure of pain with that? I have been eating regular foods since the night of surgery. I have lost at least 6 pounds but only because I am eating less and have not been sitting at a desk all day at work. Oddly...it hurts less to swallow with food or drink than it does just swallowing as I need to naturally with no food or drink. Trying to decide whether to see my Primary doc Monday or wait until x-rays on Thursday.
  • lorijo3, I haven't experienced any pain. When I woke up from the anesthesia, my throat felt sore and I had to exert some effort to inhale. I was afraid that the saliva was going to go down my windpipe and start a coughing fit. They gave me a breathing treatment that helped a lot. I was able to eat solid foods. On my third day at home, the breathing became more difficult than normal. The doc had me come in for an xray. He compared the image against the one taken in the hospital. He noticed a small increase in swelling so he put me on a 6 day course of steroids. The steroids took care of the swelling and the breathing problem. Currently, when I take bites of food, it feels like the food hangs at the top of my throat. I need to take a sip of liquid to get the food to go over and down. I haven't changed the amount or type of food that I eat, and it is getting better. From the outside, after I got home, my throat looked crooked in the mirror when I swallowed. It looks pretty normal now.
  • I have two level 4/5 and 5/6 and I was unable to eat solid food for 2 days. I luv milk shakes, so I really didn't mind and when I could start eating I had chew very well and be caredul swallowing. I say this because it felt like my throat didn't go straight down, almost like the drain pipe would be under a sink. Some foods would get stuck a little, so I had to be patient. This went on for about the first 2 weeks, but got progressively better. I also was unable to gulp liquids for like 3 weeks. Drinking something fast was not an option. It has been 5 weeks now and I have just started to be able to consecutively gulp liquids, which I realize is for me is just part of my healaing process as everything is almost daily improving. My throat still feels pretty thick and little swallen. I am just now starting to get the sensation back on the front of my throat as it very numb the first 4 weeks. My voice was a bit low the first 4 weeks at times, especially when I would talk more often during the day. My voice has improved greatly, but I won't be singing Bridge over troubled water anytime soon. I have heard the throat issues can last up to 16 weeks, which I think will be about my timeline and I have no concerns of not having a full recovery.
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.