Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lumbar fusion, December 2015, any buddies?

Comments

• So glad to hear how well you're doing! Today I am 5 weeks post-op, and at about the same place. Weaning myself off the meds, increasing activity, and having no regrets (even if there's still pain off and on). Would love to hear others' updates, too. I take no news to be good news?!
  • I'm a mom down too,....just had surgery this past Wed. I've been following your story while getting prepared for my surgery. How are you feeling today?

-Mare
  • advertisement
  • My surgery is scheduled for 01/26/16. I'm having an L4/L5 Fusion. I'm very nervous but always makes me feel relieved to see all of the success stories in this site.
  • Sue 1965SSue 1965 United KingdomPosts: 115
    Hello-I am just a day over 4 weeks today from my single level fusion-had a lot of the post op pain that most have experienced-headaches-neck/shoulder/shoulder blade pain-basically if I try to do too much I suffer-sometimes without doing anything I suffer-and sometimes I'm fine! Saw my consultant yesterday and basically he has said that when I have the pain under control I am ok to drive/go back to work/resume a normal-ish! life-So will see how I am in next couple of weeks and then start easing myself back to normality! Has been a hard 4 weeks-but I hope that I carry on improving-will try not to overdo it however now I have the green light!!
  • Hello All!!

Good to hear how great you're doing moms Down and Abby!! Welcome Mare and Sue. My case seemed pretty grim two weeks back, but believe it or not, my body has responded!! Just to remind--- Dec 20th was my two level spinal fusion L4/5 S1. First week, pretty much could not walk due to extreme pain down my leg that I did not have before the surgery. Week two slowly I walked with a tall walker. Week three I graduated to a lower walker, and now this is week 4 and I'm still using the lower walker, but I've actually taken a few small steps without the help of the walker.

There seems to be a light at the end of this tunnel for me, thank God!! For the first time, I believe I will walk again. As far as pain meds go, I'm pretty much the same as everyone else-- three oxies a day followed by a laxative at night to keep me out of the ER again. -- Seems to have worked. Keeping positive--- wish everyone all the best. :) Nicole
  • advertisement
  • AbbyTruthAAbbyTruth Posts: 14
    edited 01/19/2016 - 6:19 AM
    Hi, Mindy. I think we've all been a ball of nerves contemplating spine surgery even if we're ready to try for some relief. But- I think we've had some great successes on the December surgery board. I also had L4/L5 and am thrilled with the outcome. I'm about three weeks out and still recovering from surgery, but none of my pain is pre-surgery back pain or sciatica. After fours years of it, it's a bit startling when I wake up and it's not there. My family and my surgeon have been great about gently reminding me that surgery is only step one and following recovery instructions is the rest.
    -------
    L4/L5 PLIF planned Dec 2015
  • Hi everyone, I thought I had a stomache bug over the weekend but it's gotten worse instead of gone, and now I'm in a quandary! I didn't get much instructions about weaning off pain meds and when. I now think my having started weaning off (slowly!) caused the nausea and vomiting (and sleeplessness, anxiety, sadness...) and the vomiting means I'm now going off the meds cold turkey. I'm fairly miserable and wish someone had counseled me about how to avoid or deal with this situation! Anyone with advice? Should I try to take a small amount of that evil stuff, and hope it stays down? Or something else? I'm afraid the withdrawal is making me very restless snd anxious on top of everything else.

Anyone else quit cold turkey and experience this? What helps?
  • I'm so sorry to hear that your going through this.....
    Did you taper your dose at all?
    If you are dead set against tapering ....you could try Benadryl and sleepy time tea. Both have a calming affect and should make you sleepy.
    -Mare
  • I think I'm over the worst of it. Down to 2.5mg oxycodone every 6 hrs during the day. Got antinausea medication and some lorazepam to help with the withdrawal symptoms. I'm Very motivated to get off all this stuff so I can drive again! The pain is very manageable. I wonder how everyone else is doing...
  • It's been helpful seeing how everyone is doing. I am apprehensive but feel like this is the right choice. I have a desk job and cannot sit. My pain isn't 24/7 but it is daily and limits my ability with my kids and life.

Have a great surgeon but still scared I am opening pandora 's box because if I baby my back and lay around a lot, I have virtually zero pain.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.