Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sort of new

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi All,

I'm not exactly new. I used to read the forum a lot and even made some posts about a year ago around the time of my surgery but as I recovered, I started getting back into my normal activities and kind of forgot about it.

Anyway, I had a grade 2-3 spondylolisthesis between L5-S1 and decided to fuse last year after it reached the point where I couldn't stand up for more than 5 minutes without having to bend over to relieve the pain (that's what she said). Additionally my slip had gone from a grade 1 to grade 2-3 over the past year. I met with a first surgeon and he suggested doing a combined ALIF/PLIF. Through friends, I got two other spine surgeons to look at my MRI and recommend a procedure and a surgeon in the area. They both recommended the same surgeon and the same procedure (TLIF) so I went to him and scheduled the surgery.

It's been just over a year since the surgery and I'm pleased to report a nearly 100% recovery. I play basketball, soccer, lift weights, and even go backpacking a fair amount. The only issue I have these days is muscle tightness in my hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors so I have to stretch a lot. But that was the case before the surgery so I've gotten used to it. I hope every one else is doing well and it's good to check back in.
advertisement

Comments

• for posting your positive outcome. Maybe it will help other members to make the decision to fuse or not to fuse.
  • There are lots of us Newby's here trying to learn and get through our Spiney-Issues. So glad to hear a happy-ending!
    Does anyone ever get an improvement in the tight hamstrings, glutes, and hip-flexors as a benefit of surgery (I mean post-recovery of course)? I have been hoping that since my Spondylolisthesis is the culprit, that fixing it would help my tight muscles, eventually anyway? What was your recovery like? How long off work post-op? Restrictions lifted, etc? Thanks and Welcome Back, Sue
  • advertisement
  • Hey, thanks for the post, always good to hear the success stories. Congrats on getting your life back!

Tammy
  • :) hi and welcome to the new forum! we are still here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it is beyond words that you are almost pain free. please post under "Good News!" we can always use a success story. good luck on your new life! Jenny :)
  • That is great red.

Thanks,

Julie
  • advertisement
advertisement