Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Doctor says surgery even though my symptoms are minimal - I need help making up my mind!!

Comments

• cee said:

So sorry you're going through this. This is kind of the dilemma I was in 9 years ago when surgery was mentioned the first time. 3 bulging discs back then pushing on cord. I tried epidurals, which you stated is not an option, and I THOUGHT they worked because the pain directly in my neck went away. I'm currently recovering from a 3 level fusion C4-7 with a vert removed at 5 with a cage (?), with the plate and hardware. I have been a long term "firbromyalgia" patient and every ache, pain, strain, spasm, limp, fatigue, twitch, tingle, shock, irritable bowel, migraines and possible weird sensation has been blamed on my fibromyalgia for all these years. I had this surgery because I lost function in my arm overnight which is NOT a fibromyalgia symptom. It was 3 herniated discs and several bone spurs pushing the cord and pretty good stenosis. What we didn't realize was I was already losing function in my legs and it was showing in my gait, which we interpreted as fatigue due to the fibromyalgia. And my leaking bladder was down to my age. Now I feel like dancing. Since my surgery not only do I have my arm completely back but many of my other symptoms are GONE. Gone gone gone. Do I wish I could go back in time and have that surgery 9 years ago to avoid all this suffering and deterioration? Yes, if I knew. I don't know. I didn't trust that surgeon like the amazing one I have now. But I also didn't seek any additional opinions and I didn't understand the interconnectedness of my body and what it was trying to tell me. LISTEN to your body, do you notice ANYTHING else out of whack. Things you might not think are related to you neck might be. And in my opinion they don't ask enough about what's going on with our other parts so tell them, because we don't have medical degrees. Get other opinions and a fantastic surgeon. I was terrified before the surgery. Now I'm absolutely thrilled and believe I'm being given a second chance at life. I wish you all the best and will keep you in my prayers.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. Hope everything is well with your health.