Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

post operative 5 weeks questions

reggiehrreggieh Posts: 19
edited 01/08/2016 - 7:22 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi there i am post 5 weeks post Micro disectomy and still have chronic pain mostly at night /Morning .

I had nerve compression for about 6 months possibly more and was very active .
Had Tried all the physical Therapy Accupunture , Dry Needling . pool work , chiro etc etc
microdisectomy on 23rd November L5/S1
Findings very degenerative : large disc removed

i Have Chronic pain still If i walk more than 1,5 km or anything over 10km as passenger in car .My dISC was very degenerative and i was extremly numb ( Maybe to do with length of Surgery or time nerve root was compressed approx 6/7 months with sciatica . anyhow a few questions about the recovery .

lot of deep numbness after the op walking with a cane/ stick for2 weeks very very numb backside thighs glut foot u name it . operation seem to take long time based on going to theatre and waking in recovery room timing . how long is approx procedure for endoscopic microdisectomy ?

Would it be abnormal to refer a patient for a new MRI 3 weeks post op? Neuro surg said was concerned about fragments during microdisectomy and pain symptoms 3 weeks post op .

the numbeness is still quite bad but seem to be getting more feeling back should my glut and foot still mbe so numb?/

I hav elot of tightness muscle spasm in left calf any tips on relieving this .

walking 1.5 km then leg cramps should i ease off ? do this approx 2 maybe 3 time a day if i can .

i am afraid of re herniation or maybe this has happened already as i feel sever low back pain sittening 10 to 15 mins and the car as a passenger is a disaster . i didnt drive yet as im not confident ,
I suppose each case is different but any advice ios welcome this is a tough Journey and its hard when you were in chronic pain before op and then feel no better afterwards with exception of leg pain which is now replaced by numbness /icy toes and muscle tightness . trying to stay positive but feel im no further on at times .
Larger paracentral herniation at l5S1 with nerve inpingment
Microdisectomy november 23 rd 2015
Faucet Joint Injections January 2016
S1nerve root block Jan 23rd 2016
advertisement

Comments

• reggiehrreggieh Posts: 19
    edited 01/06/2016 - 8:04 AM
    Ok Folks this is driving me mad as well as the back pain . Walking seems to aggravate it but i am told to walk as much as i can .

Has anyone any Tips for relief i have tried heat pads , diflonac gel , balsms and rubs and ive even walked in the freezing cold atlantic ocean )Irish style with the trouser rolled up) Appreciate any comments of advice
  • KbraggKbragg Posts: 92
    edited 01/08/2016 - 2:57 PM
    I never used heat after surgery. My Dr. Said ice as much as you like and I still lay on ice a lot 6 years later. Walking is very important but when you start getting pain it's time for rest. Back surgery is tough and I'm not sure what you had done as far as surgery but if it was a fusion it can be a slow recovery. I was a very active person and thought I could wiz through recovery but I was wrong for weeks after surgery. Don't rush things and follow your Dr's orders to a T or you will take 2 steps backwards every time you push to hard. Lots of rest and ice helped me the most. Hope you get some relief!
    TLIF L4-S1 2007                                         TLIF L3-L4 2008                                          TLIF L2-L3 2016
  • advertisement
  • Hi there ... I am a sympathetic suffer. Mine started in Jan 2014 after my first micro discectomy. I have found that either put the affected leg into a hamstring stretch if standing when it happens or try to get your foot up against something to force the foot/toes up towards the body and ease the initial cramp from screaming and swearing stage, then follow with walking it out.

I have not found anything to stop them all together but use my duvet at night tucked into the end of the bed so my foot is supported in an upward position to help stretch out the back of the leg muscle as a prevention measure. It isn't always successful and I have lost lots of sleep over it so if anybody out there has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them!!!

the only thing that seem to help one day during a very aggressive run of them, was a spoonful of mustard. I like mustard but a spoonful of English mustard was a challenge but I was desperate. The cramps did seem to slow down after that but it is only a temporary cure

Good luck with recovery and remember .... cramp comes and goes but trapped nerve pain is in another world :-) . I have to tell myself that everytime I get cramp to try not to let it get me down

AJ
    AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • reggiehrreggieh Posts: 19
    edited 01/08/2016 - 7:09 PM
    Thanks for your advice . on a positive note i have seemed to improve last few days . the Disectomy has relieved the sciatica and i can deal with the numbness hoping it will go away when the nerve settles down . Still only able to sit 10 mins or so and the lying down thing is a problem so i understand about sleep deprivation !!!!! Going back to the cramps (Charley horse ) what you are saying is 100% stretching is key and also i found from talking to someone magnesium levels combined with lots of fluids help . ( a n electrolyte and magnesium sports drink comes in a Tab tube and dissolve it in your water bottle and keep hydrated ) . i also found out the hard way about walking too much at once . i find the key is to walk regularly and shorter distances . I am approaching 7 weeks post op and walking 1.4 km 3 times a day if my leg gives up i only do 2 laps . my initial mistake was doing too much too soon but then again i was told walk walk walk but everyone is different and you must listen to your body and take pain as a warning sign , The theory of walking through the pain is for endurance sport and not recovery although we must keep motivated and not shy away form what good for us . All That said i am due to see consultant on wednesday and when i look back on where i was 2 weeks ago i have come a long way and i suppose the Key with recovery is that everyone situation is different and we should not compare recovery times /progress etc as we are all unique . keep you posted on recovery .
  • Ok so consultant said S1 nerve root still very swollen(angry nerve ) i am being told to scale back on walking for next 2 weeks and limit car rodes to 10 or 15 mins max samecas the sitting . I am going to have S1Nerve root bloc and a faucet joint injection to see if calms things down . Calf muscle cramping still an issue but consultant said my case was not normal and recovery would be a bit longer and i need to take it slowly and not push the walking
    I now know thatvi must have patience and that if i dont i will end up re herniating and looking down line at a fusion which i dont want ..so what have i learned

Everybody is differentvso dont compare recovert and activity of others
    2 listen to your body i tells you via pain when enough is walked etc
    3 Rest and activity balanced is a definite approach but be carefull.
    4 Get opinions and info but taper it to your own needs and dont expect overnight sucess
  • advertisement
  • Back at work coping ok .injections seem to calm things a little . Walking 3/ 4km per day .cramps in calf if overvdo it . Still gettinh nerve pain twinges but i hearvthats normal. Come on a lot in last 4 weeks   . Things beginning to improve and im hoping  foot numbness will  come good . It was very slow recovery in begining possibly caused by length of time nerve was compressed

• reggieh said:

Back at work coping ok .injections seem to calm things a little . Walking 3/ 4km per day .cramps in calf if overvdo it . Still gettinh nerve pain twinges but i hearvthats normal. Come on a lot in last 4 weeks   . Things beginning to improve and im hoping  foot numbness will  come good . It was very slow recovery in begining possibly caused by length of time nerve was compressed

• Continued improvements . Walking is helping me  a lot as is the stretching and excercises . I am back working 4th week and doing approx 25 to 30 hours on phased return .i am tored in the evening but coping well . I do 1.5 to 32 km walk before work to loosen out .st8ll not fond of the car and driving agitates my back . Deffo on the mend but its been a slow process and nerve is heal8ng . Foot and toes still bit numb bit overall leg thigh and calf almost fully back to mormal ..Good news for a change
  • At the 4 month mark now .The Nerve is still agotated and i now get ankle swelling from walking on numb lefy foot . Calf cramping also nut not as bad . Consultant has advised 2n round S1 nerve injection 
     Struggling at work but getting on with it its a push  sometimes yo get thru the day . Tired standing and then get sore sitting  then if walking  get cramp on calf . Im persisting with walking because im stubborn and want to gey bettet but god you need a lot of payience with this . 

• Have bee struggling with foot pain and ankle swelling lately but my back pain is gone completly i am working 5 days a week on feet 80%of time it tough but ha ve nonchoice  things looki g better now no meds at all

advertisement