Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

radio frequency procedure - lumbar

Comments

• I was advised that I need a Laminectomy and a Discectomy .I am looking for a good Long Island Neurosurgeon
  • Hi I am new here. I have lumbar facet syndrome and have gone though the steroid injections that worked for about 5 days and then went through the rhizotomy bilateral 3 levels. I was completely awake and not sedated at all. Relax..it was uncomfortable but doable. I am at the point where I am wondering whether it has worked or is working or not. I have read that it can take 4-6 weeks but is hard to be upbeat when the pain is still at a 4-5/10. Last week I was able to move better and the pain changed...The post rhizotomy pain was pretty tough..ice will be your best friend. I did not take any narcotics by probably should have. Plan to have 2 down days to manage the pain after. Sending positive thoughts to all.
  • advertisement
  • I have had neck pain for almost 20 years. It gets worse with time. I had the RF procedure done 3 weeks ago. Pain is worse. It feels like a bad sunburn on top of the already pain. I have been sick to my stomach since the procedure. Has anyone else had the same side effects? and does it get better? :-(
  • I had L/3-4-5 Riodo freq done on 20th. Dr. promised to put me to sleep, due to my damaged nerves and sensetivity..HE DID NOT. I weigh 113, the nurse, 2x's my size layed across me as I screamed and cryed and pleaded for him to stop...The procedure may have worked..if I had not been flopping around like a fish. We will never know. Today is the first day, I am not crying..I still shreik when I move..I still cannot walk unassisted, I am still bed bound. I wear a 100mcg fentenyl patch, and have for years, as my pain has increased, so has the mcg on the patch. I am terrified that this may be perminant damage..The Dr wanted to see me today, I was wheeled in and he was quite jolly, and wanted to give me "pain meds"..WHAT ABOUT THE DAMAGE?? I am terrified, that this is perminant..I need a good Ortho Surgeon...I am scared, and in terrible pain.Laurie
  • Oh Dear Lord..You are so Blessed, to have a great Dr...My Dr..put a little in my veins..His nurse layed across me, he did both sides L 3-4-5 ..no numbing anything..I screamed, begged, pleaded, and he continued with the procedure. That was the 20th, I still cannot move, still scream out when I move. I see no hope, nothing good, it was anything but a pleasant procedure...You are one of the LUCKY FEW.. I wish I had your Doctor, I wish and pray that I am not perminately crippled...I was all over the table, how could he know where he was putting the probe??.PRAY FOR ME
  • advertisement
  • I am a week and a half post-op from my left side RFA to 3 nerves in lower back. After the first week I called my Doc back and asked if I should still be in such terrible pain. She assured me that was normal because the nerves are "very angry" but did prescribe low dose of Lyrica twice daily.
    I've been on the Lyrica for 5 days now. I don't know if it's the Lyrica helping or just time from the procedure but my pain level has dropped and is bearable.
    I go back in on Friday for the right side and am hoping this one isn't as bad as the first. I was given Versed and Fentanyl but remember everything and it was very painful. I was told they did my bad side first.
    I have noticed that my left side very low back and up on the top of my bum itches terribly since having the RFA...anybody else experience that?
  • I had one 3 weeks ago. The first week was bad, I actually used my pain pills by the 'days supply' day. So I was out at 10 days. I called for a refill and they didn't get back to me for 2 days and when they did, they pumped my dosage and number of pills DOWN.

Went from giving me 50 7.5 norco every 4-6 to 30 5.0 norco every 6 hours. One 5.0 norco doesn't do a thing for me. I've been on that dosage for 3 months.

I've been out since Monday and the pain is unbearable. Tomorrow is the day the script is SUPPOSED to run out, but I don't want to call and deal with attitude. I see him on Tuesday.

I literally did nothing my last days off.
  • DDub, did you have both sides done at once? I guess I don't understand why these PM docs are reducing patients pain meds or not filling them! I understand they think that this RFA should help but I was told by my PM Doc that it is not a cure all, it's simply to help with everyday living of normal activity like getting up in the morning or driving, ect.
    I haven't had to talk to my PM doc about pain meds yet, I still have some from my PCP that I got filled just before I starting seeing my new doc.
    I hope you get some relief from the pain before going back to see him!
  • Sorry, duplicate post
  • I am not seeing a PM, so I think that is the problem. My meds are all through my surgeon. I am going to request a referral to a PM doctor when I see him on tuesday.

I am getting by on ice, heat, and my TENS alone.

And yes, I had both sides done.
advertisement