Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Just oxycodone?

I have had surgery in March of 2015 on L3-4 and got significant relief of pain but re injured my back in May. Since I have been on oxycodone 5mg four times a day as needed. I'm barely getting relief and it is becoming increasingly dificult to make my script last 30 days. I'm constantly chasing the pain and never get a great amount of relief. I'm wondering what if any next step there is , I have read a lot of forum posts where one is prescribed a longer acting opioid and using either oxycodone or hydrocodone for breakthrough pain. I'm hoping to discuss this with my doctor tomorrow but would like input from the forum as well. Thank you for your input in advance.

600mg gabbapentin 3x a day
Flexaril 10mg 3x a day
Relafin 1500mg 3 x a day
Oxycodone 5mg 3-5x a day
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,771
    for maintaining and managing pain.
    Unless you have some new issues, your doctor may not want to change the Oxycodone script.

Medications alone is not the complete answer for pain management. Take a look at The Blend That is a concept that many people use to control their pain.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    edited 01/14/2016 - 9:53 AM
    That's a good standard dose, is it working for you? Does not seem like it. I know several of the PM I am in communication with do genetic testing to verify how metabolizing in each individual . This is believed to be why one dose works for some , yet does nothing for another or minimal. It seems to be gaining traction from reading and speaking to a PM I trust. It's the first thing he does when managing with pain meds and check testosterone levels prior to prescribing anything. He has said that this has greatly improved finding the right med and having lasting effect vs chasing the pain. Is it something everyone will eventually do, who knows but I find the information and dialogue with PM fascinating. We are all different with different make ups. So at a common sense level it makes sense
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
  • [Deleted User][[Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 01/20/2016 - 8:42 AM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,771
    and it depends on their evaluation of your condition.

Many times they like to start out slow and low and see how that works.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Process of elimination to see if facets are pain generators and injected meds will help. This has been standard for my initial visits in past with PM prior to knowing all my issues. I did it without sedation and was back to work after, no big deal but they were not pain generators the facets for me, might be more painful if was.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
  • My doctor encourages doing research on medications and self-monitoring of your symptoms. He truly understands pain. If I ask him if something (e.g. stopping or switching a medication) will be in my best interest, we thoroughly discuss it. Just recently, I felt as though I was building a tolerance to hydrocodone 10-325, and we discussed my options; he ultimately switched my oxycodone 10-325. In the past, he found it in my best interest to take extended-release hydrocodone or oxycodone, but my insurance doesn't cover either. So he put me on MS Contin (extended release morphine), but it ended up making my pain worse; this is called opioid induced hyperalgesia. Moral of the story, communication is key. Be open and honest with your doctor. Your doctor should do what he/she believes is in your best interest, for your medical situation.
advertisement