Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

2nd week home and in more pain than the 1st

Comments

• Hi,

I'm 13 days postop and man, I'm beginning to think my surgery has made me worse or something isn't right too. I had my doctor's appt two days ago and they just bragged on me and refilled my meds, gave me a PT order for next week. To be honest, I feel like I'm in back labor. It's a all-over aching in the low back, sometimes it focuses more on my left hip. Even the pain meds don't really touch it. I count the minutes to my 4 hour dosage. I am up and walking around, doing small things, with my brace on. I had an ALIF on L4/L5 with cages and BMP. I've had ligment pain in my left leg from the surgery, making it weak so I'm gimping when I walk. Wondering if that is causing the pain in the back. It's oh so much more worse first thing in the morning or if I sit in something other than a stiff chair. I kept asking if just cages were enough to keep my spine stable and not cause problems...they just ignored me on that question and said come back in 4 weeks and get xrays. ARGH!

I'm glad several have responded that the period after is the worst and it does get better. I don't have much patience and you just hope for no pain!!!
  • I forgot.... When you're up to it, the best thing for healing faster is walk, walk, walk..... You'll notice changes weekly, (not dailey) It may start out slowly like you can only do your driveway at first, DON'T PUSH IT!! Listen to your body. But walking really gets things healing faster... good luck...
  • advertisement
  • Hi Everyone!

Well,

I went to the NS yesterday and I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not but I have been running a temp of 99.5 this week. I didn't call b/c on the paper it said over 102. Apparently by back is infected. He scraped the incision sites in the office OUCH!!!! and put me on antibiotics for two weeks. I also will have a visiting nurse coming to the house. As far as the lump in my leg goes he does not think that it is related to my back at all, he thinks that it is a reaction to one of the probes that was on my leg during surgery (7hrs). I still have the lump and cannot lift my leg more than 45 degrees without severe pain. I have weakness in my rt leg well and my reflexes were very poor. He said that in the ct scan the day after surgery once of the screws showed to be very close to a nerve. He said that if I do not show improvement with the (weakness &reflexes) we may have to go back in at some point and re adjust the screw. As far as the meds go I am going to go back to my primary for that. I made an appt for Monday. It's closer and I have a better relationship as far as that is concerned- she was handling them pre-surgery and I would like her to handle them post as well. My surgeon is not quite as compassionate when it comes to meds.

Sorry for the long post! Thank you everyone for all of your support, you have been wonderful to me.

Hugs,

Mel
  • Oh Mel, that is soooo wonderful that you found out what was going on!!! Now you are back on the "recovery road" :)

Keep us posted,K?:)
  • advertisement
  • its good you caught it when you did, and i had a fusion l4 l5 and s1 and my right leg is still weaker than my left and july 27 it will be 5 months, ive been released from the Dr at 31/2 months post op and feel like its the best choice i ever made...so hang in there
    there is life after surgery...
  • I am 11 days post-op ALIF L5-S1. You could have written my name on your post. Terrible low center back ache and muscle burning left hip.

Can't sleep. Never had problems sleeping before. My surgeon thinks I'm fine. He is probably right, but at night when I am suffering I am just praying that I can sleep again someday.

I know it is early, I have read all kinds of stories. I can be patient, just worried.
  • kartracer, Candle99

Hope you feel better soon and are able to get some rest tonight.

Mel
  • Glad that you saw the doctor and took care of the infection.
    2-3 weeks out were the hardest for me. My legs hurt terribly and I overall felt terrible. It did get better! It is so hard to be patient when you feel miserable but things will improve, hang in there!
  • I'm so sorry to hear your having so many complications with your sugery. I hope you have some help at home with the kids and the housework.
    As far as my progress it's been coming along well. My husband bought a treadmill last night for me so I could get my walking in and not worry about falling outside or the heat. I'm making my way up to a mile today on it. Half a mile twice a day.
    I dont go to the surgeons for another month and he said I should be walking a mile by then.
    Anyway, I hope you start feeling better very soon.

Sending good wishes your way,

Christina :)
advertisement