Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Concerned

Comments

• Dave,

I must say that I sincerely respect and appreciate your initial post. I went to the website that you posted, and I vehemently agree that - whether out of sheer frustration with the health care system or whatever - people frequently "jump the gun" in terms of one alternative versus another (more suitable) one. I did this myself in some instances.

Always, more information is better (although that "more" information is not always accurate information, admittedly). I've lived with low back and bilateral leg pain for 7 years, and have had epidurals, narcotics, PT, a spinal stimulator, and 2 surgeries. Unfortunately, all along the way, I've received mixed - and often conflicting - advisement from PCPs, neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons, and pain management docs. And so the need to find a more immediate solution and fix is very often forefront - what you are saying here is that one needs to get the most information possible, and then to stop and consider all possible alternatives and their associated consequences.

I agree with you 100%. In fact, I believe that I did not need a spinal stimulator, but needed a fusion. Had I had better and more timely information over a year and a half ago, I would have avoided a needless surgery (in my humble opinion it was needless - time will tell). It seems to me (solely from my experiences anyway) that the reason that one often gets conflicting opinions and/or varying diagnoses from different professionals is that the treatment of back and nerve pain is still much more of an more of an art than it is a science (perhaps this is more accurately stated that the treatment of back, neck, and nerve pain is still a quite subjective matter). This is in no way to disregard the wondrous things that surgeons can now do to heal those who are afflicted, but to say that we still have a long, long way to go here.

One thing that I would say here is that, as it relates to the inherently subjective nature of the treatment of back/neck conditions, treating professionals so very often forget to manage the psychological aspect of the condition. There seems to be universal agreement about the mind-body connection, but so very little is really done to prepare people psychologically for what they will encounter after treatment (particularly surgery). I found this to be true in my case - I don't believe that I was psychologically prepared for the post-surgical (recovery) stuff that I have experienced to date. Recovery is not easy.

Best wishes and good health to you and to everyone on this post.

Mike
  • Let me ask you this. How many medical opinions should a patient seek before we accept what the doctor is telling us? What if two doctors say surgery and a 3rd says PT. Do we get a 4th and 5th opinion. I would think that insurance would put a stop to it at some point. I would gladly get several opinions, just wondering if it is practical. I got referred to 2 NS by friends and other doctors. Both NS suggest surgery. Do I need to keep looking until I find a NS that tells me something else. I don't want to have surgery, but nothing else has helped. I want to go back to my "normal" life. I do not look forward to the road ahead. I don't know what more to do. I have researched, sought out the best surgeons in my area and followed through with physical therapy and even checked out the "Burton Report". What more can I do???
  • advertisement
  • Hi Crash21,

I think it's all quite simple in the sense that everyone needs to decide for themselves to what extent they need more information and/or professional opinions. Unfortunately, no one can make this decision for you (people can support and help, of course, but at some point YOU need to be satisfied that the best alternatives are now in front of you - and then you can decide which is best).

What Dave is saying is that - before making a decision, one should have the most - and best - information possible.

I wish you all the best! :)

Mike
  • I appreciate this post Dave. For I had not heard of the burton report. I'm one of those that came here for info to inform myself of all the alternatives that people have taken before decideing if surgery was right for them. I'm going in for my 2nd oppinion next Tuesday. I'm not afraid of having surgery if thats what needs to be done. But I'm also a sceptic & a realest. Sceptic because I know that the medical profession has become a cash cow to some DR's. A realest to the extent that I know that I have no other choice but to put my faith into a Dr. I feel I can trust & the good Lord above. I'm more concernd with the recovery time & financial impact to my household than I'am having the surgery. I know you can't put a price on your health.
  • That is a terrible story. I'm sorry. The fact that a non-spine OS damaged you is terrible.

I hope things go better for you.

PS/ I spent the evening going through every link of the burton report- I will probably go back in a day or 2 and get wrapped up in it again. There is some interesting info in there. I was wrong.

Julie
  • advertisement
  • Crash,

Decided to edit my long diatribe and just give you my opinion. You could see a dozen doctors with recommendations all over the place. Opinions are just that opinions. What makes one opinion better than another is when you are presented with the why to that opinion. If you're told, you need surgery, one would hope they would also explain their reasoning why they think this is the best route to take over other options. Doctors have so many patients these days and they're constantly doing battle with the insurance companies that sometimes they forget to explain the details.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Dave
  • davedave Posts: 860
    edited 06/20/2016 - 10:28 AM
     Don't feel sorry for me. I have edited the post above, so everyone may not know what you are talking about. After reading it over, I thought my point was getting lost in my own personal sob story. My original OS meant well, just think he was in over his head. Hindsight is 20/20. My goal now is to get people to think and ask questions before they act. There is no turning back once you start down the path of surgery.

Dave
  • Dave
    Just went on to chirogeek and it is THE coolest site!!! Wish I knew about it earlier. Thanks for the info!!!

Carrie
  • I have chirogeek already. Another useful site.

Peace,

Julie
  • I was with you when you started the thread on the old site.Was just wondering when this one is coming.Can't agree more with you,and don't really understand why ppl are getting mad.
    So many new members are popping up with questions such "How much med is too much?" or "What exercises should I do post op?
    "Should I have a fusion or MicroD?".This is my favorite "Can someone explain my MRI report?"....
    Don't know about you,but I don't believe it'd ever stop.
    Well, hope you are having a good day,including not being blasted anymore...

Cheers,G. 8)
advertisement