Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Here's a weird question

Christina69CChristina69 Posts: 534
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Does the titanium hardware in our bodies set off the alarm while going through aiport security? :?

Christina :)
advertisement

Comments

• but i'm not sure.
  • I work with a guy who carries a card from his doctor to show the TSA, because he has enough metal in his spine that he WILL set off the alarms. :jawdrop:

Might be a good question for your surgeon.
  • advertisement
  • my understanding is that no, the titanium will not set off the alarms.... but, they are developing more sensitive devices that will.

see this website for some interesting facts:

https://www.superiortitanium.com/titanium_facts.html
  • Chris has what looks like an erector set in his back from a L2-5 instrumented fusion with a cage at L4-5. He also has a plate from a C5-6 ACDF and a long rod in his arm from an automobile accident 35 years ago (I doubt it was titanium). He has not yet set off the airport alarms. Terri
  • No I have had no problem either going through security.
    All the new materials are usually titanium.
    If your ocncerned that it will just get that note from your dr.
    Some ppl are right. In the near future the technology will probably be better then it is now.
    Don't worry hun!!! ;) ;)
  • advertisement
  • My NS said yes. They will give you a card to carry in your wallet- but they still may search you. I know it was a concern with me because I travel a little bit due to my job.

I am glad to hear that most of you haven't had a problem.

Julie
  • Mine did. I live in the Caribbean but my NS is in Florida so I traveled back and forth a lot. It went off with me.
  • I have L4-S1 hardware....where.... exactly would they search you?? :jawdrop:
    Ahhh.....pass the gloves and K-Y!!
    LMAO :D
  • :jawdrop: LMAO ...(saying to the guy with the rubber glove) Ummmmm, No thanks buddy I dont need to travel THAT bad!

Too cute...

Thanks for the laugh.

Christina :)
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    Titanium is a non ferous metal. I have gone through the metal detector several times without setting it off.

D
advertisement