Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lumbar spinal stenosis and numbness in the front of the thighs

The neurosurgeon has told me that the tingling and numbness in the front of my legs was not caused by lumbar spinal stenosis which only caused the pain in the back of the thighs and calves.
Therefore, the surgery was not likely to improve my paresthesia in the front of my thighs.
Was he right or can lumbar spinal stenosis cause numbness in the front of the thighs?
Thank you for your help.
advertisement

Comments

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 661
    edited 02/02/2016 - 8:02 AM
    It is my understanding that sciatic pain can be felt in many ways and places. Lower back, back of the leg, front of the leg, hip, side of the leg, all the down to the toes. Fix, or correct, the muscle imbalances causing your pelvic and lumbar issues [edit], and your pain should go away. Again, in my opinion as someone who's been through it, an xray is much better at helping you get to recovery. The xray can tell you what shape your spine and pelvis are in. Know that and you can then make a plan to get better.

Forum Rule:
    5.06 You agree not to post information that is considered to be formal medical advice.

Your post contains wording that may be considered as giving medical advice. It is very important that everyone understand that
    there are no medical professionals on this site, so therefore any comments are solely opinions based on personal experiences.
    They should never been taken as medical fact.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    I found reviewing a dermatome map to be very helpful in understanding my pains.
    Of course, I didn't use it as any kind of trying to diagnosis....but supplemental to trying to understand my issues as explained by my doctor.

You could find map by using search on this site, upper right on page.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • MarWin said:
    It is my understanding that sciatic pain can be felt in many ways and places. Lower back, back of the leg, front of the leg, hip, side of the leg, all the down to the toes. Fix, or correct, the muscle imbalances causing your pelvic and lumbar issues [edit], and your pain should go away. Again, in my opinion as someone who's been through it, an xray is much better at helping you get to recovery. The xray can tell you what shape your spine and pelvis are in. Know that and you can then make a plan to get better.
    Thank you. Your reply gives me hope that my symptoms will improve.
    The neurosurgeon has prescribed a mri and a electromyogram. I hope they can give the informations that are needed.

• Savage said:
    I found reviewing a dermatome map to be very helpful in understanding my pains.
    Of course, I didn't use it as any kind of trying to diagnosis....but supplemental to trying to understand my issues as explained by my doctor.

You could find map by using search on this site, upper right on page.
    The dermatome map is a new concept for me. Do you know where could I find one that explains the relationships between L4 and L5 stenosis and numbness and tingling in the front of the thighs?
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,518

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 661
    Just want to make sure that all on this thread know that I am not a medical professional or doctor of any kind. I speak strictly from personal experiences of my own pain/numbness/tingling/etc as well as the experiences that led to my recovery. Only in an effort to help other's think outside of what they've learned. Sorry for any confusion, if any.
    MarWin said:

Forum Rule:
    5.06 You agree not to post information that is considered to be formal medical advice.

Your post contains wording that may be considered as giving medical advice. It is very important that everyone understand that
    there are no medical professionals on this site, so therefore any comments are solely opinions based on personal experiences.
    They should never been taken as medical fact.
advertisement