Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Leg Pain 5 Weeks Post Op Fusion

I had a lumbar fusion at my L4-S1, 5 weeks ago. Everything was great
for 2.5 weeks. I left the hospital after two days, was walking 1-1.5
miles a day after a week, wasn't taking any pain medicine 3 days post
op. On the third week post op my sister had a baby, I was in a car, at
the hospital, sitting up for 1-2 hours at a time, holding the baby,
helping change her...I did this for nearly the whole third week. Going
into the fourth week I started feeling my old sciatic pain in my right
leg return. It's a little above my knee , behind my knee, and into my
calf and ankle.

Do you think I simply over did it and now things are inflamed? Is it
normal to feel the same nerve pain I had before surgery? I see my doctor
in a week and will talk to him then. At my two week appt he did an
X-ray and said things look great. I'm just nervous this sciatica won't
go away.

Thanks for your input and help!!

advertisement

Comments

• This has been happening to me,  too.  Docs told me it's normal..my nerves are still bent about being compressed for so long.  I'm a month out from my fusion surgery, and there are times my left sciatic pain makes a normal day impossible.   
    Recovery,  as I'm learning by both personal experience and research,  is SO unpredictable.   
    It's great that the xrays came back OK!   At least you can eliminate the possibility of hardware problems as a cause for the unwelcome return of your symptoms.
    It's possible you may have pushed yourself a little harder than you're ready for. I know on the "good" days,  I feel like I should be taking advantage of that good energy,  but another tidbit I've learned is that kid gloves are STILL necessary even If you DO feel like you could run a 1/2 marathon,  play a couple holes of golf,  then make a five-course gourmet dinner....in effect,  good days can turn into bad ones if you're not careful! 
    Good luck with everything! 

Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!