Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Right foot burning + swelling after L5 S1 fusion 3 weeks post-op

advertisement

Comments

• nmnhuqnnmnhuq Vancouver, BCPosts: 4
    edited 03/06/2018 - 6:25 PM

It's been 2+ years since I made the first post in this thread. Today I wanted to write a brief end note to provide a complete history for someone reading this thread.

My wife's foot swelling and nerve inflammation were controlled using oral steroids and 7 days of IV ketamine in the hospital. They also did a spinal nerve block as an added precaution, but we think it didn't make much of a difference. She came back home after 9 days in the hospital and everything started becoming normal within a month or two. Unfortunately the whole experience had taken a severe toll on her both physically & mentally, and she was in rest at home for nearly a year. She couldn't sit up straight for 8 hours for the longest time, so there was no point looking for a job.

Within a year she was back to normal (say 95%), started looking for jobs, and finally got back into the workforce. She has been back to work for little under a year now. Being in management consultancy she has a high stress job, and that stress sometimes manifests into nerve agitation and discomfort in her foot, but nothing that stops life. Those episodes too have become random and are fewer and far between. Recently in the cold weather (snow & all) she felt her left foot would become numb while the right one was fine. But that too has mostly corrected itself over time. It seems that whenever there's a lifestyle change, the nerves tend to flare up and after a while they adjust and symptoms disappear.

We had our final consultation with her surgeon two weeks ago. He said that if these incidents are occurring at random and infrequently, then that's a positive sign her body is recovering but it may still take another year or two to be back to a 100%. We also recently went on a trip to Spain & Portugal for 13 days, and walked 174.04km or 245,921 steps... no problems :) My concluding thought is that spinal surgery is extremely demanding on the body, and my wife's recovery took much longer than the 12 weeks recovery we were originally advised. In hindsight, the 12 weeks recovery time was just a guideline. Everyone's recovery is different and happen at different paces.

• merliny2kmmerliny2k Posts: 8
    edited 03/08/2018 - 4:31 PM

Thank you for your words...I am sure many here will be very appreciative.  I have been trolling the site as contemplating my first ever and hopefully ONLY laminectomy / fusion for my stenosis and spondy.  This place is both very informative and also very frightening as well.  Good luck and so glad to hear a positive outcome!!

• advertisement