Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

New member cervical disc

Hi, new here, writing from Canada.  Previous C5-C6 discectomy and fusion (bone graft) in 2002. Now symptoms of possibly C6-C7 herniation, am waiting for MRI and Neuro consult. Prescribed Naproxyn and Gabapentin. Radiculopathy is awful. Just wanted to connect with others who know how this feels, the last time I went through it I felt very alone and it was a long painful process leading up to diagnosis. It could take several months waiting for an MRI then the same again to see Neurology. Recovery from first surgery took about 8 weeks and I never looked back so I am dissapointed that it is starting again.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,582
    I think part of the heartache is just waiting for the action to take place.  Without getting into the differnces between countries medical benefit systems, waiting for diagnostic tests and then a surgery date can be so frustrating.

I know that once you understand you have a problem, all you want to do is get the corrective action (ie Surgery) happen sooner not later.  Since you have already been through a ACDF surgery, you know the routine, you understand the recovery and hopefully realize how much relief you get after the surgery.  The waiting can be the most terrible time.
    You not only have to deal with the physical pain, but then you mind starts to think about the situation, what ifs, etc.
    Probably , no , the most important aspect is to have a solid support system and trust and confidence in your surgeon.

It is strange, and I know there have been studies done, but the cervical disc problems always seem to be
    C4/C5- C5/C6 - C6/C7    and the lumbar problems always seem to be L4/L5 L5/S1

That would seem to mean that there is some more stress at those disc levels.  But why?
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Hi jycspine...

I just finished my waiting game and had ACDF C6/7 surgery one week ago. Luckily due to the severe pain I was able to get to the MRI in only a week. With the symptoms, pain and MRI results my general practitioner referred me to a neurosurgeon ASAP. It did take a month to get in for that appointment and the surgery was going to be another month out but due to my pain and apparently being a nice patient the surgeon made an adjustment and squeezed me in a bit earlier, then due to a cancellation got moved up another 10 days.

Just having the consult and surgery scheduled eased my concerns a bit. I started to wonder if I was over exaggerating or something being off work six weeks and not doing much yet not knowing if anything I was doing was making things worse but wanting to do something rather than just sitting around. At least with the surgery recovery, although it sucks and I'm dealing with some infection at the incision right now and then there is the waiting to see if the fusion takes, at least the radiculopathy seems to be gone and I'm hopefully on the mend.

This is a great place to make connections with others going through the same things..the weird ups and downs, the loneliness when you're in pain in the middle of the night,  no one judging why you aren't doing more physical activity,  etc.

Hope your referral process goes as quickly as possible and you get answers and feel better soon. 
    C6/7 ACDF January 29, 2016
    L5/S1 Micro discectomy November 2010
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Sorry it has been 7 months since I first reached out. I don't see my Spine Health notifications as they go to my spam ? 

I finally had cervical MRI last week. Seven month wait. However, my clinical symptoms resolved over the summer and my neck feels pretty good at he moment. I had the MRI anyway just in case it reveals something we should know about. No problems at all with my previous C5-6 fusion. Knock on wood, crossing all fingers. 

I have had a lumbar disc hernation which was at the time excruciatingly painful but resolved without surgery. Hallelujah!  I battle low back pain now that is debilitating in a capacity that is a different pain that I am used to. Osteopath thinks it may be facet joint and SI. Had a bone scan with nuclear medicine last week and anxiously awaiting results. 

Thanks for being a sounding board, no one really gets it. My friends and husband are supportive but if one hasn't experienced chronic pain they don't realize it also comes with anxiety, depression symptoms over time.
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

jycspine

Welcome back.  Sounds like you are moving forward.

If you add "Spine Health Forum" <noreply@forum.veritashealth.com> to your contacts, the emails should stop going to spam.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
advertisement