Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

How do you sleep? What's the most comfortable position for you?

I'm really curious as to what's a comfortable position to sleep in with a c6 pinched nerve? I've asked the ortho, the chiropractor, and still haven't received a decent answer. After telling them it's painful to sleep on my back since my neck is extremely sensitive to any sort of touch/pressure they both suggested lying down on my back. When I'm talking I feel like no one is listening very well. They just keep recommending things for me to buy. I feel as if it's a fairly simple question.

Does it hurt if you sleep on your back and have you found a good sleeping position where you don't wake up with pain/less pain? Does that position help you sleep better and help you to feel refreshed? I sleep on my left side elevated with a number of pillows, but it isn't the most comfortable position. 
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

Nola:

That seems like a simple question, but it is not.  As you probably already know, but aren't ready to accept, the answer is there is no good way to sleep.  I say that from experience, I am not passing judgment.

For me, the best way was to keep moving.  I could get comfortable, but only for short bursts, then move, roll, turn... 

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• hey

everybody is different and find different positions work. For me I use a memory foam pillow, it was 30 quid which is a lot for a pillow but works on my neck ache so I can sleep with support, and the a free thing I do is I roll a towel up and put it on the bed at waist level so when I sleep my body does not dip which can cause tilting of the spine, it then keeps the spine straighter and a lot I put a pillow in between my legs when I sleep on my side. You just have to try things and see what works for you really

all the best
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,230
    Sleeping with spinal and joint problems can be a challenge.
    Take a look at Spine-Healths medical articles regarding these.  Sleep

There, articles about mattresses, pillows and much more are presented.

Personally, I have tried so many different mattresses, pillows, etc.  Finally after 25+ years, I found something that really has helped with sleep.  We purchased an adjustable bed.   That gives me the capability to raise my head, my feet, or both together.  Additionally, a massage unit was included which also gives added help.  

We purchased a medium priced mattress to go on top.  For pillows, I have so many, the cervical type, round, flat, soft, hard.  Seems I just vary from month to month on which one I am going to use.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hello,

i actually find i get no neck pain lying flat on my back (which is lucky as my old  thoracic problem only lets me sleep that way!)  - but it really depends on the type of pillow. a really thin pillow is best for me - and i dont always have my entire head on it (so actually i guess my neck doesn't really have any support at all... - so that could help if your neck is sensitive to touch/pressure as i think i end up with a gap between my neck and the bed...) . i find that any type of elevation or sustained turning of my neck while lying down results in radiculopathy.

goos luck - hopefully you will find a wat to sleep that is more comfortable
advertisement