Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Knee pain

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else....

OK , I'm 49,  just had a microdiscectomy L5 -s1  on Dec 18th 2015.
I have had knee pain before surgery, I was told by my pain management doc, that it was related to the h disc . ok so had the surgery , all of the leg pain was gone. About two or three weeks ago the pain in my knee has gotten so bad it keeps me awake at night. When it first came back I was able to move it and the pain would go away. Lately it has been default to find comfort. ...please help !!!
Thank you 
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Your nerves are healing...

The knee pain is most likely your nerves trying to heal from being crushed for so long.  Nerve healing is a VERY slow process and can sometimes feel like two steps forward and three steps back. There is really no predicting it... The nerve healing may take several more months or may suddenly be better tomorrow.  In my case on my second fusion surgery I was in horrible nerve pain for 4 months and one day out of the blue I woke-up and it was like a miracle the nerve pain was suddenly gone.  Hang-in there... you're less than 2 months out from post-op and will likely see various ups and downs over the up-coming months. 

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • GingerellaGingerella New JerseyPosts: 16
    Thank you hvills for reading my post and responding. It does make me feel better just hearing that it most likely is the nerve and hopefully will get better with time. 
    Looking forward to better days. Hope you feel better soon as well!! 

• carlafcarlaf Labadie,MOPosts: 27
    I'm having knee pain, too. I'm just 7 days out of L4L5 microdiscectomy. It can be a little burn or a tingling. Kind of driving me a little crazy. Tonight even though I had a decent enough day without a ton of pain....all tingling...all over...right now! 

I told my husband, I feel like I'm having this pulsing sensation -- like a neon sign going on and off. Or like those Minions going "bee-do" over and over.  I got him to hold my ankle and he said he could actually feel it. I'm calling my doc in the AM just to be sure that's it's in the range of normal....but it does feel really weird!!!

Im trying to be a little silly about my weird stuff with my kids just to take the edge off. It's easier to maintain a sense of calmness when they get home from school, but I was pretty worked up today being home and all with just my husband.

I call my log roll in bed the "Thor hammer" move. I found if I put my arm up, it gives a little leverage in the rolling from the side into the back when I first get into bed, and it reminds me of Thor's big club. My boys got a kick out of that. 

Thanks for posting; I'm so early in all of this.... It just helps me to read that others have similar issues. 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

My problems have been with my neck and arms, but about 4 months after my first surgery all of my arm symptoms came rushing back in about 15 minutes.  I couldn't get in touch with my surgeon fast enough!  He guessed that it was inflammation and put me on an anti-inflammatory.  It took a couple of weeks but the symptoms did clear up.

Moral of the story is discuss this with you surgeon.

Carlaf, my kids are in high school, but also have worked hard to figure out ways to discuss it with them without freaking them out. Yours are very creative.  The pulses are probably muscle spasms, so yes discuss it with your doctors.  I think that spasms are very common, they sure have been for me.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • I'm a week out from L2-L3 fusion and one of my biggest problems is my left knee on the outside to the middle and down 4 " or so.. I know it's sciatica because I feel it in my butt and hamstring on that side but it settles behind my knee. I will be limping after being on my feet very long. I could not sleep at all when I layed down after work and finally had my Dr. Call me in some Lyrica. After being on it a week it started helping but now I have had to stop some meds before surgery including my anti-inflammatory it's all coming back. I knew this last week was going to be rough. You may also need some type of nerve medicine also until you recover fully. I had to do the same years back. Good luck and know your not alone. Those nerves do strange things and they are hard to describe to those that can't relate.
    TLIF L4-S1 2007                                         TLIF L3-L4 2008                                          TLIF L2-L3 2016
  • carlafcarlaf Labadie,MOPosts: 27
    Bruce, I love your phrase after your name! I'll Totally remember that... The "when to do which"

Ive got a call into the doctor so I'll just tell them what I'm experiencing and see what they say... 

Each day, I'm just trying to not let anxiety get to me about all the weird sensations. I'm trying to practice the present moment as they say! 

Its it's getting a little easier each day to just roll with it and not freak! 

But it sleep is hard. I'm waking up a lot even with the muscle relaxants. And when sleep is compromised, well, you just have a tougher time! 
    Thanks for the feedback!!!
  • GingerellaGingerella New JerseyPosts: 16
    Thank you everyone .. 

Lol.. Carlaf, I totally get the "log roll" reference. That's how I get out of bed myself. 

So I had my first PT last Thursday since surgery. I did very little. One thing I did , she propped my legs up on that wedge thing, I had to lift one leg at a time and bring my foot towards me for a count of three then point my foot and bring it down .  I did  held my leg up for a count of 5 , I did 15 each , took turns on my legs. When I was done , well even when I was doing them I was in such bad pain with my knee I was practically in tears ( I don't show people my pain) . My physical therapist had said this sounds like arthritis but could be the nerve healing.. Oh Lord I hope it's the nerve! While I had the electrodes on my back (lying on my belly) she put a heating pad on my knee. When I left I actually felt pretty good. I had very little knee pain during the night. I also have been doing my little exercises and heating pad at home everyday. Still having knee pain but tolerable. 

Sending everyone WELL WISHES .. Hope everyone feels better !!

advertisement