Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anyone Experience This?

I'm just a tad past the 1mo mark after having L4-S1 fusion,  and doing pretty well.   Have any of you who've had similar procedures felt like you had constant pressure on your tail bone?   It's a rather strange sensation-outright painful at times,  but the majority of the sensation is like"almost"pain if that makes any sense. I'm early in recovery,  so taking things one day at a time.  If anyone has experienced this,  how long did it last? 
Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
Firm believer in PMA!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi kimmy72
    i has that feeling after my first disectomy and it took a good 6 weeks to go now on my second disectomy 2 weeks post op and thankfully I don't have it this time but although u can sit try move around as much as u can I was like u couldn't sit and taught u had to lie down all the time and ended up with loads of scar tissue 
  • Thanks,  Geannette!  Yep, I am giving my best shot to achieving balance between idle time and being up and about.  It's hard for me to be inactive anyway,  but I also realize that those periods of rest are just as important to healing properly as exercise is.  
    Glad to hear you don't have to deal with thst symptom from your latest procedure!   Hope you continue to heal well! 
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • So do I just try to add a few minutes extra a day it's a horrible feeling when u sit down hope it doesn't last to much longer for you ask the pt when you see them about exercises that will make it more comfortable 
  • Will do, and thank you!!  I should be starting PT soon, hopefully!
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • carlafcarlaf Labadie,MOPosts: 27
    Hi Kimmy 72, 

Thanks for responding to my other post! I wanted to know if you had any upper body general pain? I mean I know we had different surgeries (L4L5 microdiscectomy) but all day I just felt a lot of generalized ache in my scapular and tailbone region. Like the weight of my whole rib cage and spine were pressing down. 

I got super worried today because of all of this....

i I tried to make sure I wasn't sitting for an extended period like my doctor suggested. so id put the timer on and just walk about five minutes in the house every twenty or so minutes.  I wasn't like super precise ... But I did it pretty regularly. 

I rested finally at about five and I woke up feeling better but now tingly all over! So confusing! But trying really hard to keep my head in the game and not get overwhelmed. 

Thanks for  listening. 

So appreciated! 
  • advertisement
  • They make those seat cushions for people with bad tailbones. I had one after that surgery and used for the same reason to take pressure off that area when at the table eating or riding in a car. I thinks that pretty normal after that S1 in fused. Lay on lots of ice packs and a pillow under your knees when resting. Good luck. 
    TLIF L4-S1 2007                                         TLIF L3-L4 2008                                          TLIF L2-L3 2016
  • Thanks Carlaf--I'm also fairly regular about my activity schedule.  It's not hard to get overwhelmed at some points during recovery.  I think the most common question that's been in my head whenever I experience a "new/different" symptom is, "How long is THIS going to last?"  Probably a really common question within these forums I imagine...

KBragg--I have those cushions from before I had the surgery, and they are certainly coming in handy now!  I've also been doing hour long treatments with an infrared mineral lamp, and that has calmed it down some, too. 

As always, thank you for your suggestions!!  I certainly appreciate you all taking the time to share what has or hasn't worked for you.
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • hi kimmy i pm u. 
  • Sorry Carlaf--totally missed the ? about upper body pain!  I have cervical spine issues,  too, so it's hard to distinguish between which symptoms belong to which part of my spine.  I will say I go through bouts with the cervical spine where the  muscles in the area over the herniated disc spasm SO badly that the area swells to the size of a large lemon.   I understand it's my body's way of protecting the injured area (a muscle "splint" of sorts) when it flares up,  but those are the days I wear the hair down LOL. 
    Firm believer in PMA!
advertisement