Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Leg Cramps worsening throughout each day, and return of siatica 5 months post lumbar fusion.

Hi folks,

I've had two operations to my lower back within the last two years. discectomy of L5/S1 in February 2014 and then fusion of L5/S1 in August 2015 due to re-herniation.

Its been six months now since I`ve had the lumbar fusion and although I am no longer on any pain medication or lyrica, I am still in a fair amount of pain where the screws and rods were inserted in the lower back, especially when I stretch forward to bend or pick something up from the ground, or stay sitting for a long time. I really though being six months out from the fusion that I would no longer be in pain from the surgery but I still am. Mind you, I no longer have that associated weakness and deep pain from the disc that I used to have, it seems I only now still have pain associated with the spine healing where the rods and screws were inserted.. I also have had a return of a fair amount of sciatica in my right buttock down to the point of where the buttocks end which is frustrating that I am still showing signs of nerve impingement after all the work that has been done to the lower back. Going back to my consultant in 4 weeks time, and hopefully he can recommend an appropriate treatment for the nerve impingement. ie - spinal injection maybe.   

Anyway, the real reason for the post today was to seek advice on persistent leg cramps I am suffering every day. I soak my legs in the bath every night in baking soda (on advice from a massage therapist) for 30 minutes which relaxes the muscles plenty overnight whilst I am in bed but from the time I wake up in the morning, the muscles in the legs get progressively tighter and tighter and tighter throughout the day until such time as I get home after college in the evening and soak them in the bath again.

It truly feels like somebody has wrapped them in shrink wrap (cling film) and it pulling it tighter and tighter around my legs as the day goes and by the time the evening comes around, I am in a world of pain from cramping. Nothing with the exception of soaking the legs in bread soda in hot water has proven to be of any relief whatsoever....

I've tried Epsom salts, compression leggings, massage therapy, hydrotherapy, heat patches, heat gel, regular stretching, hydrating my muscles with electrolytes, iron supplements, magnesium supplements and I am probably forgetting a few other things. I really feel as if I have exhausted my options on treatment but if anyone out there has any experience on this and has any alternative solution to offer, please let me know.

Kind Regards

Noel

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello Noel...
    My cramping is my feet and I finally had to take baclofen for it.
    Cramping continues but not as often and not as long of periods of time.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History