Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sciatica! Please help!

Hi, I am a 22 year old female who just recently gave birth to a beautiful baby boy 8 weeks ago. After 17 hours of labor I was given an emergency c-section however half way through my labor I was also given an epidural. When the surgery was complete both of my legs were still numb, after a few days the numbness in my right leg had faided away however in my left leg the numbness was still there. A week later the numbness in the left leg had disappeared except in my foot. Two weeks after the numbness had turned into excruciating pain and hypersensitivity in my foot and ankle. My left foot is left felt burning, with muscle tightness and electric shocks which are unbearable I can't sleep at night and left crying all day because of the pain.I had an MRI scan which came out clear and an EMG which shows small amounts of nerve damage. The neurologist has confirmed that I have 'partial sciatica nerve damage' , he has also found that I have no ankle reflex in this left foot and that my toes are still numb. He believes that the site of damage is is close to the spine and pelvis and that the nerve fines might have to gel out a fair distance and the process could take several months. I am really struggling as a new mom and I can't bare this pain no longer! I need to know if anyone else has experienced this and that if so how long is 'several months'? Would it definitely go? I just need a bit of hope or insight. I am currently taking 2700 of gabepentin and 3 times 30/500 of cocadomol but this is not helping the pain. I am still currently in pain all the time I have tried everything from ice to heat packs, the physiotherapy exercises only help at that moment but when I get up the pain still remains, I have tried pillows underneath my leg when I sleep but does not help. I haven't slept for weeks and won't take the risk of sleeping tablets. I have read many forums online and haven't seen anyone with what I have. 
Gemma
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,807
    If what I am reading from your discussion is accurate, you have some nerve damage.   Nerves take the longest time to heal.  Depending on the extent of the damage, it is not unheard of the problem in lasting from several months to over a year!

The better news is that your MRI came out clear, which would indicate that you do not have a disc pressing on a nerve root.  However, what bothers me, is that sciatica is caused by nerve damage and that almost always is because a disc is pressing on a nerve root.  This disc impingement is what cause that sciatic pain that travels down your leg

But some of your other symptoms suggest a bigger problem.  The amount of numbness and pain in your foot and ankle.  All of that is not consistent with everything else.

As a new mom and having to focus your major attention to your baby, I would suggest getting a second opinion.  Having another set of eyes look at your MRI and doing a clinical examination may explain what exactly your medical condition is and most importantly what actions should be taken
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I had a second opinion from a consultant yesterday and he has said that the fibers in the sciatic nerve are damaged and they will need to grow back, however he is saying they may not grow back, I am just worried, 
    Gemma
  • advertisement
    edited 02/12/2016 - 4:50 PM
    Depending on the damage to the nerves, that statement is true.   Dead nerves do not grow back.  Damaged nerves can grow back, it just takes time.

Note:  There has been some studies on regenerating nerves that were dead.  I just dont know how far along that has come.

• That's the most clearest explanation I have had so far, how long do you think they might take? On my diganosis sheet he stated that it might take serval months, thanks for answering  :)
    Gemma
    Gemma,
    That is so difficult to say, but always look at the positive side and have a good outlook on this.
    Lets hope its not to soon after  your baby can say Mommy or Daddy.   That is your primary focus.   Your body will take its natural course.
  • advertisement
advertisement