Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New to this. Scared.

I just found out 4 days ago that my SI joint is damaged. It only took the doctors 9+ months to find out where the pain was coming from.
      I've ridden horses for 30+ years and have been thrown countless amount of times. I'm sure that's how it ended up damaged. My biggest question is, if I end up having surgery, will I be able to ride again? Horses are my life and I don't know what I would do if I couldn't ride again. 
     I had my first injection 4 days ago, for the first time in a year I had no pain, it only lasted 2 days. I have an IV infusion once a month, and the injection once a month. I'm also on pain meds. For the most part, they only work for about 2 hours a day. 
     I'm also wondering what is the recovery after the surgery? I've read 8 weeks with little weight on that leg. I've also read 3-4 months with no weight on that side. What is everyone's experience? I'm having the X-ray sent to my family doctor, I trust him with my life and want his opinion. 
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,274
    There are no medical professionals on this site, so therefore , no one can provide you with any medical advice.   The answer to your question needs to come from your doctor.

However, there may be members here who have had surgery and are still riding horses.  I know of one in particular.
    But remember, because someone else can do something, does not mean that you can.

I stress, only formal answers must come from your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • katej15kkatej15 Hornsea, EnglandPosts: 1
    I do not know your age but get really good medical advice. I am not a doctor but try to stay positive. Sometimes being older and concurrent health issues reduce options. This does not seem to be a big issue in your case. Get the best advice you can. Consider looking at the info on this site and other good sites, being a little informed often helps. Pay no attention to blogs on the web that are whacky,- you will soon pick them out. Work with your doctor. And tell them if you are feeling scared, they are usually very reassuring. Best wishes.
  • advertisement
  • laritarainelaritaraine Posts: 11
    edited 03/13/2016 - 5:26 PM
    Best wishes.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Shadylady,  I too have had SI joint issues now since 2012. I had an L5/S1 fusion done first in 2013, after 3 doctors told me I needed it due to a collapsed disc. Yay I thought, the end of my pain!!  Nope, it just continued on and on, so my neurosurgeon diagnosed me with SI joint dysfunction. I was a fast pitch softball player for many years and they think that is what caused my issues.

Anyway, to make a long story short, over the past 3 yrs. I have probably had about 8 injections into the SI joints and finally had the right side fused with an SI Bone minimally invasive procedure.  I was told insurance would cover it, but 9 months later, insurance finally denied it for good. But, either way, the pain on my right side was almost non-existent. I was on crutches, totally non-weight bearing for 4 weeks and the xrays showed the fusion had worked.  My left side cannot be done b/c of ins. refusing to pay and I'm still suffering terribly. I have had 3 more injections in that side last year, trying to see if it could help.  I also take minimal pain meds, but I did have to quit my job in a dental office b/c of the pain.  I am now trying to actually pay for the left side to be done myself, but the hospital is not allowing a self-pay b/c they insist they have to file my insurance since I have it. They will not get paid by ins so they will not allow me to pay for it....go figure.  My dr. is still trying to negotiate with them to do it as an out-patient to save some money.

Anyway, It was the best decision ever to have the right side done. My pelvis on that side and lower back feels so much better. My pelvis area actually feels like it's been welded back to a normal position, it feels strong and sturdy again.

Now, if I could just get the left side done.

I hope you can figure yours out and get the surgery. I would highly recommend it to anyone with SI joint dysfunction.

• advertisement
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    edited 05/04/2016 - 3:27 AM
    Ah, riding horses!  My back has been seriously messed up since I was 8 years old and I had been a rider up until about 5 years ago.  I stopped for reasons other than pain though! 

I worked with horses, training them for hippotherapy.  These are the horses used for mounted physical therapy, balance work, work with kids with autism, etc.  There are physical therapists who only work within this kind of place. 

When I started with a pain clinic I was promised I could ride and do my physical therapy on horseback.  What that doctor failed to tell me was there was no sort of facility close enough for me to attend.  On the other hand, it was definitely a possibility!  I highly doubt I'll be doing jumpers or endurance again but dressage is both for the rider and the horse.  And they way I feel about things, if you enjoy it you're more likely to benefit from it!
    I'd say that you need to talk with your doctor if he or she is unaware
    of the benefits of hippotherapy
    [EDIT]

I'm closing in on 50 but I still have dreams that I'll ride again.  I don't think it's the best idea for someone who has never ridden but if you have all the techniques down, I think there will be horses in your future!

My Best
    Sheila

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
advertisement