Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

May need surgery again?

Had back surgery done in 2008. L4-L5 level 1 fusion. Didn't last very long and was on drugs for 5 1/2 years. Finally got off the drugs because it wasn't doing any good. Pain never went away. I guess my question is would go to an orthopedic surgeon or a nuro-surgeon and why?

Thanks

Bob 

advertisement

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

Bob

That is such a good question. My GP referred me to an Orthopedic Surgeon. Neurologist was never presented as an option. 

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement

• Bob

That is such a good question. My GP referred me to an Orthopedic Surgeon. Neurologist was never presented as an option. 

Bruce,

Thank you for your reply. The original surgeon that did the operation was a Orthopedic Surgeon. I did see a Neuro-Surgeon about 3 years ago who was tops in his field but wasn't ready at that time to do the "whole" back. He thought that you could elevate 70% of the pain but as you know there is no guarantee. Its a bit of a trip to see him and it took 3 1/2 months to get an appointment. Still don't know at age 74 if I want to go through this. Kind of have the feeling that as you get older you "shrink" and maybe the discs above are collapsing on the L4-L5.

Thanks, Bob

• Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 150
    I had my first surgery done by a neurosurgeon but ended up with blood clots after. Now I need surgery again and the neurosurgeon only wants to fix the back not looking at the whole person. So I am going to an orthopedic spine surgeon that will work with my hematologist to treat for blood clots. I will let you know the outcome. Hope it's good! I think if the orthopedic surgeon has had s spine fellowship he will know how to treat backs. Need to do research on the training they have received.
  • advertisement
  • Hi Liz53 how long after your surgery did blood clots occur? I had ACDF 2 level on December 2 2015 and I'm having bad pain in left side of neck shoulder and left arm.  
  • Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 150
    Facepainalways, 
    my blood clots probably started a few days before it occurred to me I had a problem. It was exactly one week post surgery on Mother's Day of all days! I called my internist and went there to get checked out. After the ultrasound they figured out I had three DVTs in my good leg. I then had to drive to a pharmacy to get lovenox to inject. Good thing I didn't have a PE. If in doubt always check because only you know when things don't feel right. I hope all will be ok.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,270
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,270
    Hello Facepain.......
    Just to echo Liz, above, please do not hesitate to see your doctor with any concerns.
    I am in no way diagnosising....just to say, blood clots can occur even without having surgery and any part of the body.

I too hope all is well!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement